• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Web ads are becoming very focused

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adbock is good. Otherwise, don't use Google - use Scroogle if you want it, but certainly don't "sign up" to anything, and don't use gmail. Like commercial television, many internet services are not there to deliver content to you, but to deliver you to advertisers.

Try switching off cookies completely, but you may find that any site where you actually want to be recognised, or to log in, will not work. Basically from a site/browser point of view, what you want from your bank, or even from CUK, is exactly what you don't want from ads.

I haven't tried the custom hosts file but I may do so. I am trying to "browse" less, and view desired information more (obviously within limits, or I wouldn't be on CUK).

BTW does anyone have good info on Flash Cookies? AIUI they are not controlled by your browser settings, not deleted when you Delete Cookies, and may be placed anywhere so can't all be found easily.

BTW there is an opposing view that it is the ads that pay for the sites, so viewing the sites while blocking the ads, is a form of theft. This view is admittedly not held by many other than advertisers.
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Working...
    X