• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Police state bans being Horny

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by privateeye
    During the seventies when they had what was known as the "Sus Law" I was arrested and charged by 2 police officers for walking past a row of cars. They suspected me of thinking about breaking into a car - and that was a criminal offence then and that was all the evidence they needed just simply they thought I was thinking about doing something illegal. The fact the car on the end was mine and I was heading towards it had no bearing on it.

It went all the way to court and although given an Absolute Discharge I had to pay court costs of £80 - a lot of money then as it was a weeks wages.

The Police had a habit of using this law at the end of their shift to get overtime
    Out of interest what did you actually get charged with? Presumably the generic charge but I can't remember what it was. Something like "suspicion of intent" to do something naughty.

The normal reason seemed to be getting arrested on suspision of being black.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
      Out of interest what did you actually get charged with? Presumably the generic charge but I can't remember what it was. Something like "suspicion of intent" to do something naughty.

The normal reason seemed to be getting arrested on suspision of being black.
      There was as you say the generic "suspicion of intent" which was basically to provide the only evidence. This was followed by "breaking into a vehicle to obtain tools of trade". The charge sheet then had to provide very specific laws and all I can remember is that the description did not match the specific law I was being charged with - the actual law's definition was that I was tamperring with a vehicle to make it unsafe such as cutting a break cable. It was only because the description did not match the alleged broken law that I was given an absolute discharge - and not because I was innocent which I was.

When my solicitor questioned the Police in court they could not even provide evidence such as a car registration, certainly no evidence of a car with tools of trade in it nor any equipment required to break in or tamper with a vehicle. There were also no eye witnesses but the police said they received information from a member of the public but they didn't know who etc etc. In short there was no evidence whatsoever.

It wasn't cos I is black as I is white, but at that time many friends of mine were being picked up on their way home after closing time which conincided with the local Police shift change and their was an overtime ban - but the law stated that an officer must remain for several hours after an arrest and this is how they got their overtime.

Had I been found guilty I had already been told by my employer that I would be sacked.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
        looking too young to drive that sort of car
        Good day Mister Threaded!

Please sit in the chair.

And how does Sir want his vast ego stroked today?

p.s. what was it, a hearse?

Last edited by bogeyman; 17 February 2006, 12:37. Reason: p.s.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

You lucky sods, I have been asking this police woman to "pull" me for ages, but she is having non of it. You get it at the roadside, what am I doing wrong?

BTW What is it with drivers. Inapropriate use of the horn is an offence. This guy was obviously taking the piss so the filth decided to take it right back. Dont piss them off, they can ruin your day.

The horn is an audible warning device to notify other road users of your presence when you may not be visible or they may not have seen you. J
          ust imagine the ensuing chaos if everyone tooted and waved all the time.
          When would you know the horn was being used properly.

I suggest fitting an air operated whooppeee whistle for friendly waving purposes.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            Last nice one of those I saw was a very nice white one in Rugby, closely followed by a blue metallic one in Cheltenham.
            How can the blue one have been closely following the white one ? Cheltenham is miles away from Rugby

Comment

The driving slowly bit is because usually
              In my case it was a Saturday afternoon, approaching Mansfield from the Chesterfield turn-off from the M1. The road is a dual carriageway until it reachs a steep hill where it becomes quite narrow. Just over the crest is a Zebra crossing and houses on both sides of the road. So being a good boy I slowed from the posted National Speed Limit on the dual carriageway to the posted 40 mph as I climbed the hill and prepared to stop suddenly if someone should be on the hidden Zebra crossing. Understandably this rather upset the operators of a hidden speed trap, what with me driving a very expensive sports car and they not being able to give me a ticket. Yet, what the heck, Nottinghamshire Constabulary, why bother keeping on top of the Yardies when you can harass law abiding citizens doing everything right...
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Nuisance

Yes they should pop round to my old area, watch for a taxi or middleaged dad who are too lazy to get out of the car. They would make a fortune, horns blaring all the time night & day. But then we didn't see many police down our way except when they were on a 'usual suspects' round up.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by privateeye

It wasn't cos I is black as I is white.
                  It's only a matter of time before you get nicked for poor grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
                    It's only a matter of time before you get nicked for poor grammar.
                    Doubt it - my grammar died years ago. We buried her

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                      Under the patio?
                      Thats too much work - we outsourced the whole project

Comment

Working...
                      X