• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No one sells you anything straight anymore

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    All it takes is a bit of common sense and attention to detail to avoid the "extra" crap they try to sell you.

I can't comment on opticians as I'm still lucky enough to not need their services although I'm overdue an eye test.
    In their defence I'd imagine that an opticians has quite a large overhead in equipment, premises, staff and training and a fairly large amount tied up in lense and frame stock so it's not surprising that their services are fairly expensive.
    I can't comment on all opticians, but I know my opticians don't make glasses onsite or stock any frames (other than the test ones). They get it made from, if memory serves correctly, Germany. Apart from that, I think your comment is pretty much spot on.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

So I stopped going to the 'big name' opticians once and went to an independent one. Guess what - same tricks, even more tricks, and the shop looked empty each time I walked past no idea how that guy stayed in business.

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
        So I stopped going to the 'big name' opticians once and went to an independent one. Guess what - same tricks, even more tricks, and the shop looked empty each time I walked past no idea how that guy stayed in business.
        I've been to the same (independant) opticians since I started wearing glasses (Except when I was working away from home as a permie, and once had my eyes tested by a major chain). I once had my eyes tested in India. Complete and utter joke. I would chose a British Opticians over a foreign one every time. Yes, Opticians are after your money, but at least the ones in business tend to be approved by the NHS.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

It's a con, they tried to offer me three monthly pairs of contacts for £60 !!!!! I can get them in asda for £21.50 !!!!!! Surely even the opticians know they're involved in a racket or have they never been in asda!

Comment

I've found independents to be significantly cheaper (about 2/3 the cost) than the big name high street opticians.
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

It's a con, they tried to offer me three monthly pairs of contacts for £60 !!!!! I can get them in asda for £21.50 !!!!!! Surely even the opticians know they're involved in a racket or have they never been in asda!
              Or maybe they don't have the economies of scale and purchasing power that Asda do and they feel that they add value in other areas for some of their customers.

You can vote with your wallet, bitching on here won't make a jot of difference.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                Or maybe they don't have the economies of scale and purchasing power that Asda do and they feel that they add value in other areas for some of their customers.

You can vote with your wallet, bitching on here won't make a jot of difference.
                They don't add value. Asda employ qualified opticians who give you the same tests. They're a greedy cartel and I'm glad to see they're being undermined at last.

Don't have economies of scale? How come, they've got shops in every town. They could merge if that worries them so much. Watch this space, many of them will go down when people wake up to the over pricing.

Comment

Vets are the ones that piss me off. Our dog needed a shot of antibiotics and a shot of anti inflamatories. Total bill was £107.

As for opticians, I went to Vision Express and the optician told me he was self employed. But wore their uniform, used their kit, treated their customers and appeared to be a Vision Express permie. IR35 anybody?
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I couldn't care less, opticians have had it good for too long and the prices charged are a joke.
                    Opticians provide added value for those who don't know what they need.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      Opticians provide added value for those who don't know what they need.
                      oh they'll tell you what you need alright, just like a dodgy garage finds all those things your car needs doing

same with banks, anyone who pays £12/month for a bank account with perks is a complete and utter mug

Comment

Working...
                      X