• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are England FIFA bid whoever team the biggest sore losers the world has seen?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no doubt that the English Bid was technically the best one and would have stood a great chance of delivering a World Cup that could have been financially very lucrative.
    I also have little doubt that within the FIFA set-up there are some murky shenanigans going on that involve third world country delegates.
    Similarly, I feel that the Russians made a very strong case in pointing out that Eastern Europe has thus far staged 0 World Cups compared to Western Europe's total of 10, a total which is higher than all of the other venues put together.
    I doubt the full story will ever come out, so time to move on and stop carping on about it. It is getting a bit tedious really and slightly embarrassing if truth be told. It is not as if they have actually caught someone out actually lying!!!
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Not winning is no surprise, as Shaun mentions the idea of "The first E. European World Cup" is quite compelling like the one in Africa was. The sheer number of votes we didn't get does seem farcical though, because it's only common sense that we have great facilities as a country which is so passionate about the game.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

It is common knowledge in Russia that Russians' "Premier League" games are bought and sold, including top spot.

On reflection I think personal bribes may have played lesser role than most people think - FIFA just wants to have super event like Olympics, and only countries like Russia, China, Qatar and a few more would be prepared to spend THAT much money on this show.

So yes those events were most certainly bought - neither Russia nor Qatar would have ever gotten the event without massive petro dollars - every time you refuel your car, or turn on gas oven you'll be financing World Cups in those countries as well as purchases of EPL clubs.

I guess the West did not win Cold War after all.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          "The first E. European World Cup" is quite compelling
          And why not run it somewhere in Poland which is pretty much Eastern Europe and massive investment would help European countries being better connected? The sad reality is that the only reason Russia/Qatar got World Cups was due to massive amount of cash they have to squander on those events - no sane Western country could afford such a bill. Well, it will pay it anyway via higher fuel prices.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            And why not run it somewhere in Poland
            Because they are hosting Euro 2012 (albeit jointly with Ukraine).

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
              And wtf euro 2012 got to do with World Cup that has never been in Eastern Europe? Euro cup is local Euro affair that is none of FIFA business.

You might as well say England should not get World Cup 2018 because it hosts Olympics 2012.

Comment

oh btw - if Euro cup plays any role in this then Eastern Europe (which wrongly includes Russia) already hosts is (in Poland) so it should be overlooked.

It's all about money - Russia's press estimates that costs of World Cup 2018 will be in region of $30-40 bln ffs - there are no fooking roads, no fooking hotels, no fooking stadiums, no fooking security - there isn't even guarantee that oil prices will remain high by 2018.

My prediction is therefore as follows:

1. Oil price collapses in 2016 thanks to USA's investment into new technology

2. Russians rebel in late 2017 and overthrow corrupt Soviet regime - Mr A.......ch asks for political asylum in Britain.

3. Corrupt FIFA members (some in retirement) arrested and jailed in the Tower.

4. World Cup 2018 is moved to England that should have had it in the first place.

Remember - you heard it on here first.

Comment

And wtf euro 2012 got to do with World Cup that has never been in Eastern Europe? Euro cup is local Euro affair that is none of FIFA business.
                  Because they are both major football tournaments? So having both in the same location within 6 years just wouldn't happen
                  You might as well say England should not get World Cup 2018 because it hosts Olympics 2012.
                  They're two different types of event, something completely different.

Comment

there are no fooking roads, no fooking hotels, no fooking stadiums, no fooking security
                    Yeah, what a fantastic place to host it.....

Personally I was hoping for Spain & Portugal to win, so I could have a month long holiday over there rather than having to go to poxy Russia

Comment

Because they are both major football tournaments?
                      If Poland and Russia are both Eastern Europe, then Eastern Europe as a whole hosts major football event and neither should get World Cup for a long time.

Russia agreed to do ridiculous things money wise to host World Cup - no sane Western country would agree to it, yet it is the West which would pay for all that stuff via higher prices of oil and gas.

It's ironic really - British taxpayers will pay up in full for World Cups in 2018 and 2022.

I won't speak about Qatar, but I'd advise anybody who considers going to Russia to see world cup to stay at home and watch it on TV.

Comment

Working...
                      X