• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Alternative Fuel Cars

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You think we're going to build something that runs for 10,000 years?
    It'll need maintenance. The Hoover dam is expected to be one of the last structures standing, were civilisation to fail. There are probably mills still existing that are centuries old. How hard can it be to infill concrete with earth?

Comment

Pyramids are just stone structures and most of them are fallen apart or in great disrepair after only a couple of 1000 years. Even decent stone buildings fall apart after a while, normally a couple of centuries of wind & rain will do the trick, let alone tidal forces.

So to get it to last 10k years there's that big building cost, spread over 10k years, plus additional costs every year for 10k years. I hardly think those additional costs will be small.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Pyramids are just stone structures and most of them are fallen apart or in great disrepair after only a couple of 1000 years. Even decent stone buildings fall apart after a while, normally a couple of centuries of wind & rain will do the trick, let alone tidal forces.

So to get it to last 10k years there's that big building cost, spread over 10k years, plus additional costs every year for 10k years. I hardly think those additional costs will be small.
        Some trees last longer than 1000 years and plenty of man made structures that old exist today. Heck, even local churches are older than that and they still look brand new. Earth filled dams can't be that hard to maintain surely. Sedimentation is probably limits the life span, though I'm not sure why that can't be dealt with efficiently.

Comment

Pyramids are just stone structures and most of them are fallen apart or in great disrepair after only a couple of 1000 years.
          You'll find that most of the ancient structures suffered from later people stealing the ready cut stone from them. The later, larger pyramids were clad in harder wearing stone than the interior was built from.
          The outer lime stone cladding was stolen and the inner stone is more susceptible to weathering in the desert.
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

The Parthenon in Athens is over 2000 years old and still standing, the reason it is in bad shape is through bombing in wars. If we use the materials we have available to us now then we can easily build something that lasts that long.

Comment

Originally posted by kandr View Post
              The Parthenon in Athens is over 2000 years old and still standing, the reason it is in bad shape is through bombing in wars. If we use the materials we have available to us now then we can easily build something that lasts that long.
              There's a whole list of ancient UK buildings here, though admittedly the ones that are 4 thousand or so years old probably lost their roofs at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Do the panel have any experience in looking at 'green' energy vehicles?

As a taskforce recommends the UK to plan for another massive hike in Oil prices in the future, and bearing in mind oil is running out, would a Plan B be an alternative vehicle business?

There are some hybrid cars, electric cars etc, but does anyone own one and has anyone researched this/test driven?
                Back to the subject in hand - I have second hand experience of Electric vehicles. I work for National Grid and they have given Mitsubishi EV's to a couple of staff. I think the basic premise is - don't plan a journey longer than 25 miles, as the range-o-meter plummets to the red, regularly inducing panic. And in the winter, half that as you have to turn on the heater, blower and electric rear window. Oh, and the car costs £37k and the batteries will last 5 years - if you're lucky. Replacement sets will cost 5 figures....
                So, as an alternative to a shopping car for the missus - maybe. But you could afford to buy half a dozen Ford Ka's for the money AND throw them away after 5 years.....

Comment

Originally posted by Dearnla View Post
                  Back to the subject in hand - I have second hand experience of Electric vehicles. I work for National Grid and they have given Mitsubishi EV's to a couple of staff. I think the basic premise is - don't plan a journey longer than 25 miles, as the range-o-meter plummets to the red, regularly inducing panic. And in the winter, half that as you have to turn on the heater, blower and electric rear window. Oh, and the car costs £37k and the batteries will last 5 years - if you're lucky. Replacement sets will cost 5 figures....
                  So, as an alternative to a shopping car for the missus - maybe. But you could afford to buy half a dozen Ford Ka's for the money AND throw them away after 5 years.....
                  How much CO2 goes into making all those batteries every 5 years? How much pollution does handling all these materials (lithium for example) cause?

FFS, get over this bulltulip about oil and gas running out, it will outlast all of us and probably our children too.

Anyway, there's always a nice green diesel car

Jeremy Clarkson Audi Q7 V12 TDI quattro review | Driving - Times Online

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    You'll find that most of the ancient structures suffered from later people stealing the ready cut stone from them. The later, larger pyramids were clad in harder wearing stone than the interior was built from.
                    The outer lime stone cladding was stolen and the inner stone is more susceptible to weathering in the desert.

The pyramids fell into disrepair because the outer stones were stolen and used to build houses in Cairo. The same happened to Roman roads in the UK. Stones from Catholic Churches and monasteries were also used to build houses.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X