• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RBS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Interestingly, I heard that there is no central printing press for Euros, each country prints their own.

So the Irish could start their own QE if they felt like it...
    Who's to know if they did? Mum's the word. They are probably all printing away in secret. Except the Germans.

Comment

I see the Oirish are getting free cheese from the EU cheese mountain, I'm skint where's mine?
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Can't be bothered to check obviously but seem to recall National Savings and Post Office accounts are with the Bank of Ireland.
        Yep!

Whatever fiscal repairs Ireland starts putting in place it will be too little too late.

How the country managed to fool itself that the Economy was strong during those "celtic tiger" years is beyond me, Ireland has been getting handouts from the EU from the get go and that money was used to back up a lot of ill thought investment and opportunism.

Is it possible the UK could be in the same mess and the fact that they have their own currency could be a saving grace?
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Mind you, Ireland did attract a lot of investment with their tax breaks for business. Just about every large clientco I've had a contract with has had a Dublin office. So perhaps the celtic tiger thing wasn't all hot air. The trouble is companies can up sticks and leave as quickly as they arrived.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Mind you, Ireland did attract a lot of investment with their tax breaks for business. Just about every large clientco I've had a contract with has had a Dublin office. So perhaps the celtic tiger thing wasn't all hot air. The trouble is companies can up sticks and leave as quickly as they arrived.
            That they did, but like all good companies once those tax breaks came to an end, they upped sticks and left a lot of unemployment.

it may have been an initial good idea but no safeguard was put in place for the inevitable.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

How's the DeLorean factory going?

Comment

We could help them out, send over some well educated Brits to give the country a kick up the arse... or has this already been tried?
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.

The Newport Wafer fab that got £150M in grants & never turned a wafer.

One of my ex-bosses had a big hand in that.

Its shadow keeps the EADS/Cassidian building cool across the road

Comment

RBS was my first dabble in buying shares. I saw there price dropping from £5 ro £1 just before the banking crisis really hit. So I bought 1k worth thinking, well it wont go below £1 and Ill triple my money in a few months. A week later Lehman's went under and RBS's shares were at 10p and they looked like they might be nationalised. In the net!

Comment

Originally posted by kandr View Post
                      RBS was my first dabble in buying shares. I saw there price dropping from £5 ro £1 just before the banking crisis really hit. So I bought 1k worth thinking, well it wont go below £1 and Ill triple my money in a few months. A week later Lehman's went under and RBS's shares were at 10p and they looked like they might be nationalised. In the net!
                      It's Just Money: Investor Mistake #9: Trying to "Catch a Falling Knife"

HTH BIDI

Comment

Working...
                      X