• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Yesterday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    I don't want to rain on your parade etc

Seems to me it'll be pretty obvious to realise what is in the box, so not much of a surprise
    Glass half empty man eh?

well Ebenezer, It's not supposed to be Mastermind, the point is in the effort that's gone into it, the originality of the way it's asked, the fun of going away to a place I know she wants to show me and then ultimately the "non surprise", as you put it, of asking her to marry me.

The box is a Jewellery sized box, not ring sized and even if she does guess (which wouldn't take a genius to work out), surely that'll make it more exciting to get the box open?

I figure it's better than a few grunts while watching corrie along the lines of "so? shall we?"
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
      WOW that really appeals to both my romantic side & my geeky side

Well done.

I hope you have, very many happy and healthy years together
      cheers Pogle

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
        Glass half empty man eh?

well Ebenezer, It's not supposed to be Mastermind, the point is in the effort that's gone into it, the originality of the way it's asked, the fun of going away to a place I know she wants to show me and then ultimately the "non surprise", as you put it, of asking her to marry me.

The box is a Jewellery sized box, not ring sized and even if she does guess (which wouldn't take a genius to work out), surely that'll make it more exciting to get the box open?

I figure it's better than a few grunts while watching corrie along the lines of "so? shall we?"
        It's brilliant and you've put a lot of thought into it.

Don't mind them! She'll love it.
        Bazza gets caught
        Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

hi Chef,

good for you, it's nice to see something original in this world instead of simply off the shelf plastic solutions to everything

I am sure you know your customer and it will be a big success

well done

one thought is it worth to have two boxes, one with the ring and one with like a twix or something and if during the period between delivering the box and unlocking the box if there are any changes in relations you can switch the boxes and voila....

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
            hi Chef,

good for you, it's nice to see something original in this world instead of simply off the shelf plastic solutions to everything

well done

one thought is it worth to have two boxes, one with the ring and one with like a twix or something and if during the period between delivering the box and unlocking the box if there are any changes in relations you can switch the boxes and voila....

Milan.
            Ever the optimist. Milan.
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Glass half empty man eh?

Lol!!
              I knew it was quite "scroogy" when I was typing the post!

good luck, it certainly is different!

Comment

played fella

better than me I proposed by text message

and she kept it in case I ever have ermm second thoughts!

Comment

built circuitry myself, bought the box, cut a hole in it for the lcd which sits very flush to the box and used a wood drill for the button hole which also sits flush, so presentation wise it looks very good and not "knocked up in a shed in 5 mins"

You must be MUCH more geeky IRL than I ever imagined you to be !!!
                  - with all your festival going, I imagined you as a free spirit hippy type

But seriously, many many congrats!

<tune of "another one bites the dust" fades in>

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                    hi Chef,

well done

Milan.
                    I see your point, and it was suggested that if things don't go to plan for whatever reason then maybe it might be a good idea to have a backdoor to be able to get into the box (for the reason you suggested but also for the reason of the batteries die or some other unknown reason) rather than having a unobtainable expensive ring.

I figure that should be enough. Plus, the box isn't cheap once you start adding up the cost of the antique box, the components (lcd, gps, arduino main board + expansion shield, buttons, servo's, switches, wiring, battery packs, dc jacks etc.) I've never done anything like this before so have also invested in soldering irons/stands, circuit board holders etc. And so far it's taken around 2 months to get it done (after work when I have time) and so making a 2nd isn't really an option before xmas. I'll be happy to get this one done and looking/working as I want

Comment

I proposed using a keyring once.

Unsurprisingly I'm not married
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X