• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Graduate unemployment has risen to its highest level for 17 years

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The skills shortage is real. One has only to observe CUK posters for a while to see how many cannot reason, cannot make judgements based on the balance of probabilities, are not familiar with using data to back up theories, cannot count, don't have basic social skills in the real world, don't know how science works etc. etc.
    Of course these posters tend to be in the low paying/dead-end/dull roles - there's a reason for that.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

IT covers a lot of ground, I think regarding development, there is a shortage, other areas like support and other less skilled areas are flooded with failed devs and bobs.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        The skills shortage is real. One has only to observe CUK posters for a while to see how many cannot reason, cannot make judgements based on the balance of probabilities, are not familiar with using data to back up theories, cannot count, don't have basic social skills in the real world, don't know how science works etc. etc.
        Of course these posters tend to be in the low paying/dead-end/dull roles - there's a reason for that.
        Thought you said you were well paid? Changing your tune................Mr Thicky??

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          Exactly new graduates are almost completely useless, sadly, but if an experienced guy stops work for a few weeks, you might be able to get some low quality work out of them.

What you need are some huge public sector conntracts, so graduates can spend a couple of years churning out complete cr*p, and then you start to produce some useful developers.
          I d be interested to see how many years of dev experience you think is required before moving from a 'useless grad' to a valuable developer

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedAussie View Post
            I d be interested to see how many years of dev experience you think is required before moving from a 'useless grad' to a valuable developer
            There are some students who come out of Uni already great programmers (i.e. they have been programming outwith the course), and any good programmer normally enjoys programming and will do this.

The vast majority don't enjoy it, though, and do the bare minimum and need to be spoon fed until they have got a few years (coding daily) experience.

Comment

The skills shortage is real, you only have to observe some posters on here just to see ignorance. Lack of foreign lanugauges is an example,. One poster resorted to Babel Fish to translate a fairly straight forward German article and still didn't understand it.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

I know that my IT skills shortage is real.

However, I don't regard myself as an IT pro anymore.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

ClientCo wanted a team so went out and hired 6 Bobs and 4 Bobskis for 18 grand each, that what I was on as a graduate 12 years ago. In fact I have not seen a new start graduate in years, why bother?

Comment

Mine have withered away.

Comment

I don't work in IT.

I'm a (Chartered) Engineer.

Comment

Working...
                      X