• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Biofuels

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    As long as there are too many people in the world.

Too many people means that there is no solution to shortages. Use biofuels instead of conventional, and you cause other problems, including shortage of food. Eat more fish and the seas are emptied. Grow intensively, and biodiversity is reduced, disease increased, and risk of famine increased.

Too many people. Few will face it but that is the real problem.
    Nonsense. Through efficient use of existing farmland and the cultivation of a lot more, we could easily sustain a population several times greater than what the world has now.
    You won't be alerting anyone to anything with a mouthful of mixed seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenLabel View Post
      Nonsense. Through efficient use of existing farmland and the cultivation of a lot more, we could easily sustain a population several times greater than what the world has now.
      Pardon me for being pedantic, but although you may disagree with what I say, it is not nonsense.

We could support a greater population than we do now, at the same level of prosperity and at current levels of resource depletion, but ISTM that both of these are already unsatisfactory.

But whatever levels of nutrition and resource usage we take as a benchmark, Mr Malthus will get us sooner or later. Sooner I think. Actually already IMHO.
      Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
        Pardon me for being pedantic, but although you may disagree with what I say, it is not nonsense.

We could support a greater population than we do now, at the same level of prosperity and at current levels of resource depletion, but ISTM that both of these are already unsatisfactory.

But whatever levels of nutrition and resource usage we take as a benchmark, Mr Malthus will get us sooner or later. Sooner I think. Actually already IMHO.
        Holland produces more food that all of Africa.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          Holland produces more food that all of Africa.
          Africa has the same land area as the moon. Oops, wrong thread.

Comment

Anyone needing biogas can come and collect it free at my desk for the next few hours.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Too many people. Few will face it but that is the real problem.
              Indeed. There are leads and lags as in every real life relationship but the smoothed demand for anything man uses is proportional to numbers of people.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Through efficient use of existing farmland and the cultivation of a lot more, we could easily sustain a population several times greater than what the world has now
                There's that could word again. We "could" do all sorts of things but in practice what are the chances of agreeing on the solution, getting it right and not hitting yet another downside?
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  There's that could word again. We "could" do all sorts of things but in practice what are the chances of agreeing on the solution, getting it right and not hitting yet another downside?
                  Which doesn't mean that it isn't possible - the Earth has the capacity, and we have the ability.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenLabel View Post
                    Which doesn't mean that it isn't possible - the Earth has the capacity, and we have the ability.
                    Where's the motivation?

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                      Where's the motivation?
                      I don't really care. The point I'm making is that it's possible.

Comment

Working...
                      X