• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pre-Nuptual Agreements

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    That's fine, but I am speaking as someone who doesn't have £100m and isn't likely to have.
    Me neither. However, I was just posing the question about the principle of these agreements, and stating that I see them as a bad thing.
    That said, I'd be all in favour of some reality show in which they give me multiple millions and see how long I can make my marriage last!!
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      Anyone else feel that if you think you need one of these in place, you are marrying the wrong person?
      No.

By taking a logical very reasonable step of having a prenup you ensure that the person you marry is doing so for other reasons than money.

In order to remove illogical senseless stigma prenups should have been LEGALLY required with key basic rules being that any money earned before marriage is not to be shared (unless all sides agree), capped payments to say £1 mln.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        No.

By taking a logical very reasonable step of having a prenup you ensure that the person you marry is doing so for other reasons than money.

In order to remove illogical senseless stigma prenups should have been LEGALLY required with key basic rules being that any money earned before marriage is not to be shared (unless all sides agree), capped payments to say £1 mln.

HTH
        Or to a cache of acorns and walnuts?

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          Worst case, you end up going your own ways and might have to eke out an existence on £50M. Not that bad is it?
          First earn £100 mln, then you'll be entitled to an opinion. I reckon chances are good your wife makes more money than you - saturday "call out monkey", you also got 5-6 kids and you reckon that if your wife is to insist on keeping them all then you'll be able to hang on to 100% of your fortune, all £100 of it.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Or to a cache of acorns and walnuts?
            Don't get squirrels involved in a very serious business of getting married

Comment

No.

No wonder you are stuck in a lonely bedsit on your tod, slowly going blind from frenetic potnoodling.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

First earn £100 mln, then you'll be entitled to an opinion.
                In actual fact, in this country everyone is entitled to an opinion, regardless of wealth That is largely as a result of people like me standing up to your mickey-mouse Soviet leaders during the Cold War. They would probably have removed that choice from us had they got their way, and we might well all have ended up as brainwashed as you.

I reckon chances are good your wife makes more money than you - saturday "call out monkey"
                No. Not even close. I occasionally choose to work on saturdays, and get well rewarded for doing so. Unlike you, who seem to be at work every weekend desperately trying to get this tedious SKA of yours off the ground.

you also got 5-6 kids and you reckon that if your wife is to insist on keeping them all then you'll be able to hang on to 100% of your fortune, all £100 of it.
                Keeping them all as opposed to what? Sending them off to the Gulags?
                My fortune is measured not in pounds sterling, but in the legacy I will leave behind. And unlike you, it will be something more tangible and relevant than a knee-high pile of w@nk mags with the pages stuck together.

Comment

Having recently been on the receiving end of an acrimonious divorce, without going in to all the reasons on a public board, a prenuptial would have helped tremendously. When barristers cost £2,000 a time and the marital law "fair for everybody" is so far from the truth, I'm surprise people even risk getting married in the UK nowadays.

It is fine if the happy fairytale lives forever and ever, but when things do go wrong, it is catastrophic. There's an entire industry out there that is dead against simplifying the process of divorce purely for fiscal reasons and the old situation of the unfairness of women getting thrown out the marital home has swung so far the other way that I would recommend that nobody gets married until prenups are a prerequisite.

My case highlighted so many worrying issues that all the friends I have talked to have started to look into prenups and other legal vehicles for protection.

I know it defeats my argument somewhat about not going into details but it's too personal and revealing a case for here.
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                    Having recently been on the receiving end of an acrimonious divorce, without going in to all the reasons on a public board, a prenuptial would have helped tremendously. When barristers cost £2,000 a time and the marital law "fair for everybody" is so far from the truth, I'm surprise people even risk getting married in the UK nowadays.

It is fine if the happy fairytale lives forever and ever, but when things do go wrong, it is catastrophic. There's an entire industry out there that is dead against simplifying the process of divorce purely for fiscal reasons and the old situation of the unfairness of women getting thrown out the marital home has swung so far the other way that I would recommend that nobody gets married until prenups are a prerequisite.

My case highlighted so many worrying issues that all the friends I have talked to have started to look into prenups and other legal vehicles for protection.

I know it defeats my argument somewhat about not going into details but it's too personal and revealing a case for here.
                    How sad. Sorry to hear that.
                    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post

A word to the wise. If you're going through a divorce, do not get a solicitor. You do not need one and can fight your own corner.

When opposing solicitors get together over a divorce the only thing they're interested in is how much they're going to make.

Your interests are not their priority.

Hth.

Comment

Working...
                      X