• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where now for house prices?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    With the coalition policies expected to result in the loss of up to a million jobs (both public and private sector) where do you think hous prices will go?
    Odds are you're not very bright or well educated so your opinion is worth little more than a fart in a hurricane. HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      We put a bid in for a house in 2007 for 491,000, the winning bidder took it for 491,200.

The bidder failed to stump up the money which under Sctos law is a major no no, as they were taking legal action they offered the place to us which we declined. The place went for 417,000 8 months later so the winning bidder has to pay the 70 odd grand. We worked it out that the bidder knew the property owner and a deal had been struck that they would pay 200 quid over the top offer which was ours. Bullet dodged there.
      Even if a HIP was offered I'd still be paying out for an independent valuation.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

On one hand I'm depressed because we own a property in what is traditionally a strong rental area, lots of low-income and DSS families. No chance of it selling even break-even it seems, despite all our improvements.

On the other, the mortgage is only £60k so if work kept steady we could be able to pay it off and auction for maybe £40k. When we bought, that would be a year's salary lost; right now it'd be a few months' income which seems a much smaller price to pay for getting away.

Hopefully though we'll continue to find tenants, but with all the cuts, maybe there won't be any money to pay for the DSS tenants
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          On the other, the mortgage is only £60k so if work kept steady we could be able to pay it off and auction for maybe £40k.
          Where do they have houses that are worth £40k?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Where do they have houses that are worth £40k?
            In areas where cheesy low-value immigrants like you are renting.

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I'm hoping they crash 95%......Then I might be able to put a bid in for the pad in London I've got my eye on...which is currently on the market for just over £10m.

Comment

Another possibility is that the wage-house price gap will be narrowed by wage rises. 50K average salary by the end of this government's term in office?

Comment

My pension is mostly in property. I sold my London BTL earlier this year when prices peaked and I'm going back into the BTL market when I feel that prices are within 5% of bottoming out. There's some way to go yet IMHO.

I also want to move my PPR as the kids have left home and we want to buy a smaller place with more land. House prices are less of a factor in that move as it's only a small trade up. The stamp duty is a killer though.

I think that all the financial "good news" that we're having lately does nothing but obscure how bad our situation is structurally and without incentivising private enterprise to a huge extent, we are on a slow slide to 3rd World status.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    I think that all the financial "good news" that we're having lately does nothing but obscure how bad our situation is structurally and without incentivising private enterprise to a huge extent, we are on a slow slide to 3rd World status.
                    ... already quite far along a none-too-slow slide ...
                    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                      We put a bid in for a house in 2007 for 491,000, the winning bidder took it for 491,200.
                      Half a mil for a house in Scotland??

Was it a castle?!

It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Working...
                      X