• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Some people take this "Thatch" hatred too far

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Interesting debate. I used to be left wing as a teenager, became right wing when I started working.
    Now as I approach middle age and have some experience I'm beginning to see that both sides have a point.

First point: those of you who say corporations must do what they have to do are right - provided that you also understand that what corporations do is now increasingly against the national interest. Companies outsourcing large amounts of work to the east are deskilling and hollowing out the West's middle class. Of course they don't care about this as their future profits are going to come from the young populations and growth areas of the East. I'm not sure what the solution is to this.

Second point: We shouldn't believe the propaganda we are subjected to by our political elite. In the 80s and 90s we were told that no advanced economy could rely on manufacturing and that we should become a dynamic service economy. The Germans, being more intelligent didn't subscribe to that, and as a result are the biggest exporters in the world, per capita and until recently in absolute terms, which is phenomenal achievement. But they also have the largest sofwtare company in Europe: SAP. So clearly we have been taken for a ride. Our "boom" was in fact a borrowing spree of unprecedented proportions and we are just about to pay for it.

Thirs point: Thatcher was necessary but limited. I guess you can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs, but her ideological beliefs blinded her to the truths I have outlined above.

Finally we are were we are - our economy is now about the size of Italy's. I blame Thatcher - and Macmillan and Wilson and Heath and Blair and Gordon Brown. Essentially we have had piss poor leadership for the last 50 years.

Most sensible Sas post ever

Comment

Other articles:

British Hospitals Struggle to Limit 'Superbug' Infections - NYTimes.com

C.diff superbug kills one patient in British hospitals every hour | News

"Professor Richard James, who runs a Nottingham University centre investigating hospital infections, described the findings as evidence of an 'extraordinarily bad situation'.

He said: 'More than 50 per cent of hospital trusts have a rate of infection that's more than ten times that of any other country."
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Other articles:

British Hospitals Struggle to Limit 'Superbug' Infections - NYTimes.com

C.diff superbug kills one patient in British hospitals every hour | News

"Professor Richard James, who runs a Nottingham University centre investigating hospital infections, described the findings as evidence of an 'extraordinarily bad situation'.

He said: 'More than 50 per cent of hospital trusts have a rate of infection that's more than ten times that of any other country."
        read above sasguru, you're just digging yourself into an even deeper hole.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          Why didn't you look it up?

You really need to get some basic IT skills.

600,000 infections a year.
          What part of the rate rather than the absolute number is what matters, don't you get?

You really need to get some basic logical, arithmetic, and evidence-based, reasoning skills.
          I'm guessing you didn't do too well at school and poly.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

The NHS has had their budget nearly doubled over the last 15 years, according to the girly there has been little improvement, except in her salary which has went from half what I earned to twice in 8 years.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              The NHS has had their budget nearly doubled over the last 15 years, according to the girly there has been little improvement, except in her salary which has went from half what I earned to twice in 8 years.
              FFS, read what you've just typed and then tell us all again how many degrees you have.

Comment

Anyway - with a pensions crisis looming, is it the end of the world if some of the weaker 'coffin-dodgers' get culled a few years early ?
                Same with smoking and weight loss - surely we can't afford for people to live forever and if some want to take a short cut, without actually encouraging them - just let it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                  FFS, read what you've just typed and then tell us all again how many degrees you have.
                  Does not matter how many degrees I have, the good lady coins it in from the NHS.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    50,000 deaths per year in German hospitals from bacterial infections.

As usual Sasguru spouts complete tripe.

Funnily enough I looked at the official stats - and guess what looks like you made that figure up.
                    Unless of course you are talking about ALL bacterial diseases rather than the ones in the database below related to poor hospital hygiene. I wouldn't put it past you not to know the difference

Earss resistance data

Where data is available for the UK it consistently is higher (in absolute terms) than for Germany.

Blaster, I wonder what you do for a living - one thing's for certain it can't be rocket science given your poor grasp of facts, figures and logical debate.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                      I'm hoping your "girly" in a senior auditor of the service levels of the whole NHS and not a nurse in one ward, in one hospital and taking her opinion as a generalization over the whole NHS.

Comment

Working...
                      X