• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Some people take this "Thatch" hatred too far

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    OK pull the plug on industry and pretend it's inevitable, doesn't seem to be the case for Germany however, their manufacturing has gone from strength to strength but then they were not such Milton Freeman zealots. Even the man himself realised his own failings.

Milton Friedman

The sad thing is that they were happy to leave all those workers with nothing to do. Some form of the back to work schemes mentioned in other threads recently could have helped greatly here, before the cost became so great.

Thought for the day. I can remember council house estates which had beautiful gardens. Hmm, decent homes that people whose economics circumstances meant they shouldn't be buying could have pride in where they lived.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      the point is, even the professionals see it as rather pointless.
      good for pub talk and thats about it

So you're saying the question about where we'd be without Thatch is one that can't possibly be answered - which was my point too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
        You know, they say someone knows that have lost an argument when they result to insults, never mind I'll give you another chance, given your anger issues. I know 'manufacturing' provided bigger tax revenues under Blair than the city of London did, but that's not manufacturing as Germany would know it. We are talking largely components, which isn't so impressive.
        I believe that used ot be called light manufacturing and you could see it manifest by the replacement of factories and mills with industrial estates.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenLabel View Post
          Like it or not, we're in a global market. Nobody ever survived by sticking their heads in the sand and denying reality.
          Except Bob Crow
          Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
            Except Bob Crow
            Hmm what if Bob Showwaddwadi ran the railways ?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
              Hmm what if Bob Showwaddwadi ran the railways ?
              Why not? Mr Singh and Winston have been running the London underground for nearly 50 years.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Next time you could save time by taking my sig to heart.
                You seem extraordinarily proud of it sasguru, but for no obvious reason.
                It is, in tandem with so much of what you contribute, completely devoid of any trace of humour, pertinence, or originality of thought.
                Keep on trying though, the forum loves a trier.
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  And the downside was?

I graduated July 1990. I had a grant. Thatcher departed 22nd November 1990. So she must have abolished the grant in those last four months then? er... no. the grant was abolished in 1999 under the New Labour government.
                  Not quite true, Grants were started to be phased out if not under Thatcher then under her replacement. The student loans company was founded in 1990 (as the gradual replacement for maintenance grants). I was at uni in the early 90s and remember the grant being reduced each year and the loan element rising.
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                  X