• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Skills to retrain in, job opportunities in New Zealand / OZ etc.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    Good point.

I'm not sure that I would concur with your thoughts on ozzie women though.
    Depends what you mean? If you mean anglo saxon descendent aussies, then they often have battered skin by their late 20's, men and women. They're not meant to be in this kind of sun but they love being tanned up.

But there are lots of fine asian and south american girls here, and not to forget italian, greek and lebanese descendents. It's only the anglo saxon ones that look (and act) rough.

Comment

I think the OP will find a totally different culture to employing people in Oz & NZ.

UK you need min 10 years experience in everything before they'll even interview you. In Oz & NZ, they will look at the person and previous experience to see if you can be adapted to the position - yes even for contractors. I got a wide variety of experience from my time in Oz & NZ, much of the time I didn't have previous experience or maybe some experience that linked to the new role.

Unless things have changed, be prepared to drink a lot of beer :-)

I shan't comment on Oz women

Comment

Originally posted by Animal View Post
        I think the OP will find a totally different culture to employing people in Oz & NZ.

UK you need min 10 years experience in everything before they'll even interview you. In Oz & NZ, they will look at the person and previous experience to see if you can be adapted to the position - yes even for contractors. I got a wide variety of experience from my time in Oz & NZ, much of the time I didn't have previous experience or maybe some experience that linked to the new role.

Unless things have changed, be prepared to drink a lot of beer :-)

I shan't comment on Oz women
        WHS/WSS

It is much easier to blag your way into new skills over there. A good place to get into something new, I've switched skills a couple of times while working in Oz. There is a decentish job market in banking in Sydney, and maybe a bit of work of work in Melbourne.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
          WHS/WSS

It is much easier to blag your way into new skills over there. A good place to get into something new, I've switched skills a couple of times while working in Oz. There is a decentish job market in banking in Sydney, and maybe a bit of work of work in Melbourne.
          This is true. Its a function of the number of individuals in the market. They do have a skills shortage here. They also import a lot of skills but not the right ones to fill the gaps. I have managed to get better jobs here than in London.

Comment

Working...
          X