• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Momentus® XT Solid State Hybrid Drives

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    I've been running two SSD Intel 150Gb drives for about six months now. They host my Sql server TempDb and a couple of the most active databases for plan B, so far they have had around 20Tb in writes to each of them and show zero on the media wear out stats in the management software they come with.
    20 TB is a lot of writes, especially for older disks that did not have that smart wear levelling algorithms, you must be using SLC SSDs, in which case you might still be ok , but for MLC 20 TB written isn't small amount.

SSDs are ideal for reading a lot, but writing rarely.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      t, but writing rarely.
      Tosh. You make it sound like the transistors are being switched over with an arc welder. Calm down. Back home that's what we call an overcooked ham.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        You make it sound like the transistors are being switched over with an arc welder.
        It's clear to me that you have not got a clue when it comes to flash based products.

Not that I'd expect someone who prefers Macs to have good understanding of hardware.

Writing 20 TB on SSD can easily kill it - it all depends how you write that data because SSDs have got erase/write cycle, so if you write few bytes then in actuality you cause 4kb worth of efforts. MLCs have not got that many cycles, in fact even if you write sequentially SSDs will slow down pretty quick - I'd love to tell you more about SKA and SSDs, but that's confidential information.

Comment

It's clear to me that you have not got a clue when it comes to flash based products.

Not that I'd expect someone who prefers Macs to have good understanding of hardware.

Writing 20 TB on SSD can easily kill it - it all depends how you write that data because SSDs have got erase/write cycle, so if you write few bytes then in actuality you cause 4kb worth of efforts. MLCs have not got that many cycles, in fact even if you write sequentially SSDs will slow down pretty quick - I'd love to tell you more about SKA and SSDs, but that's confidential information.

What's that got to do with hardware performance? If you drive your car like an idiot it's going to fail a lot sooner -

It's clear to me that you have not got a clue, full stop. < the little dot down there in case you were wondering.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

What's that got to do with hardware performance?
            Everything - SSDs slow down big time after enough written to them, recent models better than old ones but still slowdown is very noticeable.

You know **** all about hardware, and especially SSDs that don't follow normal patterns (in both good and bad ways), so stick to your usual "I got more GBP because EUR is so strong threads", I don't know what they are paying you more than minimum wage, but clearly that can't possibly be anything at all related to computer hardware in general and SSDs in particular.

Comment

Fight!!
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Everything - SSDs slow down big time after enough written to them, recent models better than old ones but still slowdown is very noticeable.

What lithography machines were your SSDs were made with, cheap skate.

Thermal shock is the only thing that's going to cause an SSD to fail big time but electronic switching within the technical specifications? Not once not never - like was said before, drive like a idiot expect to have a failure soon, otherwise happy times, unless there was an inherent quality problem at manufacture.

How do you OU grads get into industry?

Comment

What lithography machines were your SSDs were made with, cheap skate.
                  L-i-t-h-o-g-r-a-p-h-y - that's a BIG word for a Mac user. We have got latest SSDs - 34nm.

electronic switching within the technical specifications?
                  It's not switching idiot, it's erasing and programming new block - flash NAND was never designed for so many writes, it was meant to be mainly as primarily read medium, more to the point the way they are designed a write of few bytes will force erase/write cycle of whole 4k block. SLCs were pretty good (if you don't know what it means in context of SSDs then you should **** *** **** up right now and go play with your ipad), but cheaper MLCs can have write endurance of anything from 1000 to 10000 cycles.

As I said STFU and stick to your "I am richer than you because I am paid in euros" threads, before you even open your mouth to talk about hardware first own PC for 20+ years, fix all sort of problems, program hardware on a low level (like our own Spod, bless his doggy soul) and only then open your yapper to comment on things you don't have any clue about.

Comment

AtW's quite correct. Enjoy your new drive but make regular backups
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

L-i-t-h-o-g-r-a-p-h-y - that's a BIG word for a Mac user. We have got latest SSDs - 34nm.

It's not switching idiot, it's erasing and programming new block - flash NAND was never designed for so many writes, it was meant to be mainly as primarily read medium, more to the point the way they are designed a write of few bytes will force erase/write cycle of whole 4k block. SLCs were pretty good (if you don't know what it means in context of SSDs then you should **** *** **** up right now and go play with your ipad), but cheaper MLCs can have write endurance of anything from 1000 to 10000 cycles.

As I said STFU and stick to your "I am richer than you because I am paid in euros" threads, before you even open your mouth to talk about hardware first own PC for 20+ years, fix all sort of problems, program hardware on a low level (like our own Spod, bless his doggy soul) and only then open your yapper to comment on things you don't have any clue about.

I'm afraid it is switching. From one state to another. You don't know this?

No need to get so upset. The device retains it's 1 or 0 by switching from one state to another, nothing more complicated than that. Unless it's multiple states with which you are referring.

This can occur numerous times.

But as I said before, if the driver operates the product like an idiot it's going to fail, the hardware could operate indefinitely.

I understand now why I'm paid the big bucks...

Comment

Working...
                      X