• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Winter's here

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Christ on a bike mate, after all that work!

Can you afford to keep current?
    The flying took a hit before that sadly Spod, workwise was a bit variable beforehand and had to build up a warchest - which promptly was hoovered up last year by long drawn out legal preceedings and outcome.

You have about 5 years before you can go and get a full check out for the CoE. 5 - 10 years requires some discretionary training followed by a full check out. After that it's up to the CAA and likely to be full training, GFT and NFT.

Flying is really important to me for a whole number of reasons and it is with a heavy heart with all that has gone on the last few years I may never be able to afford it again. The last time I looked the Twin Star DA-42 twin rates were around £360/h at Blackbushe the last time I looked. Fairoaks has simply given up on twin hiring...

I've been using MS FlightSim X, scenery disks and PA-200T a/c to try and keep current with emergency drills, EFATO, IFR and flying on one engine but it's not going to be the same as real experience.

To be honest, the amount of time and cash you need per year in the UK is around £5,000 for twins min - and that's going to be quite stressful flying as you never feel comfortable enough, unlike the time I took the Piper Seminole in Oz for a few months.

If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
      To be honest, the amount of time and cash you need per year in the UK is around £5,000 for twins min - and that's going to be quite stressful flying as you never feel comfortable enough, unlike the time I took the Piper Seminole in Oz for a few months.
      Chin up mate. You never know what's round the next corner.

I'm in a similar position regarding the flying too. Oh well, as soon as the kids go to University...

Comment

I'm in a similar position regarding the flying too. Oh well, as soon as the kids go to University...
        Thank you for the kind sentiments, my fellow aviator.

I think it's a case of Plan B's all round to solve this issue - been working on mine and for extra motivation, have just watched this vid of a DA42 on single engine drill.

Comment

Thank you for the kind sentiments, my fellow aviator.

I think it's a case of Plan B's all round to solve this issue - been working on mine and for extra motivation, have just watched this vid of a DA42 on single engine drill.
          Dead easy! It's just opposite boot, init?

Comment

between now and then, the things you will fly

paper plane
            little balsa plane
            Kite
            chinese lantern
            big balsa plane
            remote control petrol jobbie

sheesh, by the time mine were 18, I had more flying hours than biggles, and I was done with it

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

HyperD - never say never. I hope you get back up there soon.
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Dead easy! It's just opposite boot, init?
                yup, and mouth agape at the wondrous silence on one side.

First time I did shutdown, feathering and restart training I was so involved with the whole exercise I never used the rudder electric trim and by the time we'd completed the exercises several times, my right leg was shaking like like a dog sh**ting peach stones, which made the job of climbing out the aircraft, when we landed, highly amusing to my instructor.
                Last edited by hyperD; 21 October 2010, 16:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                  HyperD - never say never. I hope you get back up there soon.
                  Thank you Zippy!

Comment

yup, and mouth agape at the wondrous silence on one side.

First time I did shutdown, feathering and restart training I was so involved with the whole exercise I never used the rudder electric trim and by the time we'd completed the exercises several times, my right leg was shaking like like a dog sh**ting peach stones, which made the job of climbing out the aircraft, when we landed, highly amusing to my instructor.
                    Doubt you were the first or you'll be the last.

Comment

hyper,

sorry to hear that.

What doesn't kill you can only make you stronger.

All the best,

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                      X