• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SKA news - now in Wall Street Journal!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Comment

Who da man? You da man!
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Nice one.

Comment

Congrats Alexey

Milan.

Comment

Well done Alexei.

However on the question the article attempts to address, I think this is the key:

U.K. businesses seem to have been maximizing their margins on overseas sales rather than using the pound's depreciation to increase market share. But one thing could potentially lead to another.

"If they've been concentrating on margin, then they've been strengthening their companies, which means that they will be in better shape to grow their markets," said Jerry Blackett, chief executive of the Birmingham Chamber of Commerce.
            i.e. the cheaper pound isn't boosting exports because the prices being charged abroad haven't reduced.

I've seen the same here in Switzerland BTW. As the Swiss Franc has risen against the Euro we are getting "Euro special offers", but that often amounts to only 5 cents off the price of a German beer rather than the full percentage; the retailers are increasing their margins.

The real reason that everyone is devaluing using quantitative easing is that the Chinese refuse to raise the value of their currency.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              The real reason that everyone is devaluing using quantitative easing is that the Chinese refuse to raise the value of their currency.
              No, it's not the real reason. The real reason is that Govt print money because they have nearly reached the end of the road for debt they used as driver for growth in the last few decades, this means debt can't be refinanced as rich people like Chinese no longer want to buy tulip paper.

These printed money no longer get recycled in debt, so they go into commodity markets, that's why oil is back to nearly $100 per barrel, metals way up again, food too etc.

But never mind all this - it's deflation that's the problem apparently!

Comment

Well done Alexi, this time next year son we'll all be millionaires.

"I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Working...
                X