• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How should ale be drunk?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
    Nick has it spot on....it's the secondary conditioning that's the important bit. About 11 degrees in my book, but a couple of degrees does not make a sausage bit of difference.

However, since your real ale is likely to be pastuerised, filtered, filtered again, nuked and filtered then just drink it how you want as you are not wanting to drop the yeast or supsended protein out of suspension as in cask or bottle conditioned real-real ale.
    Yep, normally cellar temp especially if it's decent.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      Shouldn't it be out of a glass?
      Or a tankard.

One of my early batches of home brew wouldn't clear. Every few days I was opening a bottle, pouring it out, seeing it cloudy and pouring it away.

So I took a couple of bottles to the man in the home brew shop for advice and he despaired of me: "You drink with your mouth, not your eyes. Beer always used to be cloudy, it's only this nasty filtered factory-produced stuff that made people think beer should be clear. Just buy a tankard and drink it from that."

He was right - cloudy beer from a tankard tastes fine, but from a glass is not so appetising.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        Shouldn't it be out of a glass?
        Who are you replying to?

I do have a nice metal tankard though I'm not sure it improves things and is anything other than pretentiousness... and doesn't break if you drop it.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          I personally prefer them cold.

I tell you what I do miss though is the cracking beers you could get at Firkin pubs when they still had their own breweries. I do miss a good pint of Dark Demon
          Ahhhhhhh Bruce's Best. Nom nom nom.
          Double Ahhhh Dog Bolter. Nom nom nom.

Phoenix my pint I'll firkin hit 'im
          For fox sake buy me a firkin pint
          Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
          Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Erm, where's the "In Obscene quantities" option?

Comment

For me it definitely musn't be too cold as I find it kills the taste. I also don't like beer with too much alcohol - I prefer "session" beers of 4-4.5%.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

It is a "how long is a piece of string" question really. Depends on a whole load of things like the beer itself, the weather (ale slightly colder if the weather slightly hotter kind of thing), but most importantly your own personal preference.
                I would say there is a reasonable range at which you will be fine, that stretches from somewhere below warm to a bit above too cold.
                The best bit is experimenting to find this info out for yourself.
                The beauty of it is that it is something that is quite difficult to get wrong.
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                  For me it definitely musn't be too cold as I find it kills the taste. I also don't like beer with too much alcohol - I prefer "session" beers of 4-4.5%.
                  Beer should be gulped, not drank like tea or something or sipped.
                  Its the aftertaste that you savour.

at least thats what I was always told

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    Beer should be gulped, not drank like tea or something or sipped.
                    Its the aftertaste that you savour.

at least thats what I was always told

What my little Scouse friend said.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                      What my little Scouse friend said.
                      i take exception to that. I declare a beer drinking competion, me vs spod
                      who wants to come along to referee?

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X