• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sopranos

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sopranos is on my list, along with West Wing, of things I think I'll like.

I'm a big fan of Dexter, House, Lost, True Blood amongst others so I assume they will fit my taste... actually I'm kind of tasteless since I also like Star Trek, Stargate Atlantis & Smalleville, easy to please. I'm still interested in Breaking Bad but ain't got round to it.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
      saw a bit of the sopranos once. again and again and again. (adverts from whatever channel was trying to push it). it looked like a steaming pile of cliche so i left well alone. what is so good about it?

It's not cliche ridden at all, infact far from it.

I'll let someone else explain the rest:
      Why The Sopranos is the best TV drama of all time | Television & radio | The Guardian
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
        saw a bit of the sopranos once. again and again and again. (adverts from whatever channel was trying to push it). it looked like a steaming pile of cliche so i left well alone. what is so good about it?
        Rich storylines which take time to develop and run, not only through a few episodes or a season, but the entire drama
        High quality acting with actors who have been well cast and a lack of fear in killing main characters
        Funny - anyone remember the Pine Barrens episode
        Paulie Walnuts
        Jamie Lynn-Sigler

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
          Rich storylines which take time to develop and run, not only through a few episodes or a season, but the entire drama
          High quality acting with actors who have been well cast and a lack of fear in killing main characters
          Paulie Walnuts
          Jamie Lynn-Sigler

Originally posted by Paulie
          The guy killed 15 Chechens. He's an interior decorator!
          or something like that.

Comment

"Breaking Bad" on FX is excellent best thing in years.

Also FX will show "The Walking Dead" starting Nov 5th 2010, it's a zombie world survival horror TV series, its meant to be good, like George Romero movies back when he did them well.

Comment

I was surprised someone mentioned it already, as it wasn't really a huge hit here, but The Shield is my favourite of all time, absolutely loved it!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                I was surprised someone mentioned it already, as it wasn't really a huge hit here, but The Shield is my favourite of all time, absolutely loved it!
                i already did, awesome show- rewatched it a while back and it actually gets better as it goes along, i'd say my second all time face after the wire
                sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

I'm curious as to why everyone's raving about Mad Men, watched an episode of it the other night and it didn't woo me. Is it one of those series you have to catch from the beginning?
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                    I'm curious as to why everyone's raving about Mad Men, watched an episode of it the other night and it didn't woo me. Is it one of those series you have to catch from the beginning?
                    Personally, if I don't catch a series when it starts, I don't bother - even with DVD boxsets.

When the BBC started airing Mad Men I missed it and so let the programme pass me by.

A couple of weeks before the fourth season started on TV I bought the boxset of the previous series' and watched them - I'm glad I did.

Story aside, it is very similar in style to The Sopranos which is no surprise as the guy who created Mad Men also worked on The Sopranos.

It has a relaxed style and pace and is in no hurry to get anywhere.

That said, the plot always moves forward because the characters are richly developed.

If I had one criticism, it is that I wish they would inject just a little bit more humour into episodes.

I would recommend you watch it from the beginning but don't believe all the hype you hear about the programme as, IMHO, a lot of it is a bit OTT.

Mad Men is a very good series but is best discovered in your own time and not purely because the hype says so.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                      Paulie Walnuts
                      Jamie Lynn-Sigler
                      I watched it all, but I never really liked any of the characters or any of the stories. But there was always something totally compelling about it: like the road accident that you don't want to see, but somehow can't tear your eyes away. And it was always extremely well made.

Tru Blood is kind of the same I think.

I did like the bloke from The E-Street Band though, just because he was such a cliché. Can you imagine if your day job is starring in The Sapranos, and your night job is playing guitar in Bruce Springsteen's backing band.
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X