• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Weak handshake

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Oh jeez.
    I had this big opportunity to break into IB. I researched my interviewer, a doctor of economics from Switzerland.
    Practiced my handshake and my interview technique. How I would handle him, the job was mine.

This 25 year old blonde comes in, with her boobies half hanging out.

Those puppies kept staring at my eyes for the whole interview.

<cough> still waiting for my big break into IB

TheDailyWTF
    Many years back, I was a hot-shot contract developer in my early twenties, looking for a new gig in London. I was called to an interview at company that built hotel management software and, since I already knew a great deal about hotel software, it seemed like a great fit.

The interviewer was blonde, in her late 20’s, and had an impressive bust that was barely constrained by her buttoned blouse. She’d clearly put on a few pounds, but hadn’t admitted it to the extent of buying newer clothes. As a guy in your early 20’s, you tend to notice that kind of thing.

The interview was progressing pretty normally when, all of a sudden, one of her buttons came undone. I forced myself to focus on her questions and, for a short while, answered them impeccably. And then a second button came undone. That completely threw me off and my mind raced about, trying to figure out what to do.

Should I tell her? She’d probably be a little embarrassed, but certainly she’d appreciate the heads up. And at the very least, she’d not have to go through an entire interview unbuttoned.

Should I ignore it? At some point, she’d realize that her blouse came undone, and would think that I was a pervert for not telling her.

Both options put the contract at risk, but clearly, the high road was letting her know. I cleared my throat and subtly gestured towards her chest. She looked at me strangely for a moment, and then looked down. Instantaneously, she clutched her blouse, blushed red, and fled the room.

As I sat alone in the conference room for the next few minutes, I wondered if there was a third option that I didn’t consider. Eventually, the interviewer came back, but this time, she was wearing a sweater on top of her blouse. Without even sitting down, she told me that the interview was over and that they had all they needed to know. And although I didn’t get the job, I did learn a valuable lesson: just ignore it next time.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      I've been practising the limp handshake. It's particularly effective when you're interviewing on behalf of the client. Gets people to show what they're made of.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        WHS.

Also, sitting to the side of the interviewer at about a 90 degree angle can help in gaining agreement; sitting opposite each other is a confrontational position. Some interviewers make it impossible to do this, but where possible I take the seat which puts me in the 'agreement position'.

It's quite a well known diplomatic technique that I learnt when I did a contract at the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs; succesful one-to-one negotiators sit around a low coffee table in informal seats, and at an oblique angle to the side of the other party. You can try this for yourself at home with your partner; sit opposite each other at dinner and then make some statement about how the garden should be arranged, knowing that it's not what your partner wants; he/she will disagree quite strongly. Suggest your idea while sitting in the living room at an angle and he/she will point out weaknesses or ask questions, which is more likely to get you both closer to what you want.

I always try to seat myself at the 'head' of the table if possible - seems to work, when I get the chance. I tried the strategy during a business game at Uni a few weeks ago too - worked there. Another person on the opposite team did the same in their 'game' also won.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          well thats great advice. just hope she ignores my 12 inch boner busting down my trouser leg when I stand up

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

well thats great advice. just hope she ignores my 12 inch boner busting down my trouser leg when I stand up
            She probably would, as a rule.

Comment

If you're gonna have a cross to bear, make it a 12 inch boner, that's what I say.
              Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Working...
              X