• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Naval ships need welders? Import Poles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT is going the same way as ship building, assuming it isn't dead in the water already.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
      I think it has little to do with not having enough skilled people available, but more a case of not having enough skilled people prepared to do the work for minimum wage.
      I disagree.

Hands on skills in the country, particularly engineering, is severely lacking. Various engineering departments I've worked you'd be lucky if the a 3rd of the office was British. Even Dyson himself depends on foreign nationals for his operations.

I've been trying to recruit in the last year myself. Even a little common sense is unattainable.

Folks in this country are not interested in engineering. All that interests is how to make a quick buck.

We'll learn the hard way long before it's too late...
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        Even Dyson himself depends on foreign nationals for his operations.
        Dyson shut down the UK manufacturing operation and shipped it out East...he got a knighthood for that
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Why cant they get Billy Connoly in to weld up the aircraft carriers ? It's about time he gave something back. He could even get to name them if he wants
          how about 'wee jobbie' and 'the big yin'

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

This a vicious circle. If fewer British workers are taken on to save cash or due to supposed shortage, fewer will train as is no demand/low pay. If foreign contractors are taken on instead of British it is those that will have the experience and gain the future jobs.
            This damaging effect applies to professional jobs too, as in the NHS.

Non-EU doctors to be barred from UK training posts | News
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              £15 per hour is just £562 per week, or £30k per year BEFORE all sort of taxes which would take back 50% easy, hardly a massive salary for people who are tasked to build stuff like aircraft carriers.
              and not the healthiest of jobs either, far more dangerous than teachers or firemen who are paid far too much
              Last edited by mrdonuts; 4 October 2010, 09:21.

Comment

Working...
              X