• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why there will be no real recovery from this recession

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The usual tired, cliched, hackneyed prescription of protectionism which, historically, time and time again has been proven not to work.
    As I've said before, you can take the boy out of the Soviet but you can't take the Soviet out of the boy.
    If you were important, AtW, you'd be dangerous; luckily there's little chance of that.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      ...not with Cameron going to India to beg right after he got new job.
      I do wonder if this Indian growth is similar to that of the Irish during 1990s, oh and Japan in the 1980s. Everyone stood transfixed at these new wonder economies and claimed this was the way to do things. If there's one thing that will put a spanner in the works it's lack of a cheap energy source. We're not too flush with oil at present so how will we come up with enough for the odd few billion Bobs and Chinese?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
        I do wonder if this Indian growth is similar to that of the Irish during 1990s, oh and Japan in the 1980s. Everyone stood transfixed at these new wonder economies and claimed this was the way to do things. If there's one thing that will put a spanner in the works it's lack of a cheap energy source. We're not too flush with oil at present so how will we come up with enough for the odd few billion Bobs and Chinese?
        Interestingly I think Bob's growth is in spite of the way they do things: i.e. bribery, corruption, backhanders, poor infrastructure, chaotic systems are rife. If these obstacles were removed their growth would be even higher.
        I reckon the reason for growth so far is the old fashioned values of education, saving, working hard and entrepreunerial skill. That's likely to change as well as Bob gets richer.
        So the end result is probably that they become more like us: better systems but less work ethic.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

There's one way I'd like to see the future of the global economy unfold and that is one which promotes SUSTAINABLE development.

I'm by no means a leftie and I believe in capitalism but I believe in SMALL SCALE capitalism, not the behemoth of globalisation that has been unleashed on the world over recent decades and its attendant destruction of nations and their peoples.

The blueprint for how things would be if I ruled the world are all encapsulated in one book. Small is Beautiful by Schumacher. Do read it; it's very enlightening.

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
            There's one way I'd like to see the future of the global economy unfold and that is one which promotes SUSTAINABLE development.

I'm by no means a leftie and I believe in capitalism but I believe in SMALL SCALE capitalism, not the behemoth of globalisation that has been unleashed on the world over recent decades and its attendant destruction of nations and their peoples.
            Capitalism has raised hundreds of millions of people out of poverty over the last few decades. Which nations and peoples do you feel have been destroyed by it?
            You won't be alerting anyone to anything with a mouthful of mixed seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenLabel View Post
              Capitalism has raised hundreds of millions of people out of poverty over the last few decades. Which nations and peoples do you feel have been destroyed by it?
              None. Yet. But we're in danger of losing our national identity, traditions and customs from the tidal wave of immigration and the kow towing of the establishment to these peoples and their customs at the expense of our own. The blame for this unprecedented influx can be laid fair and square at the doorstep of GLOBAL capitalism.

Aside from eroding our culture, there's the huge damage inflicted on our natural environment and general sense of well being by having such a rapidly growing population.

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
                None. Yet. But we're in danger of losing our national identity, traditions and customs from the tidal wave of immigration and the kow towing of the establishment to these peoples and their customs at the expense of our own. The blame for this unprecedented influx can be laid fair and square at the doorstep of GLOBAL capitalism.

Typical Daily Wail rhetoric. Care to give some specific examples?
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  The usual tired, cliched, hackneyed prescription of protectionism which, historically, time and time again has been proven not to work.
                  It does not work when done separately, which is where free trade block should come in between USA/EU with pullout from WTO.

US pulled out from gold standard, so pulling out from WTO is a no brainer.

Comment

US pulled out from gold standard, so pulling out from WTO is a no brainer.

Yeah because the two are very similar

FFS Do you have some sort of masochistic tendency that forces you to demonstrate what a complete cretin you are?
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

when you have got China that can sell very cheap goods because they don't have pension system, poor health protection of workers etc

What's the pension and private health package like at Majestic or are you exploiting cheap labour again?

Comment

Working...
                      X