• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It's alright siblings he's sorry.........

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Galt
    Man apologises for bomber protest

Omar Khayam dressed as a suicide bomber in London

Watch the apology
    A man who dressed as a suicide bomber during a protest about cartoons satirising the Prophet Muhammad has apologised for his behaviour.
    Omar Khayam, 22, from Bedford, "wholeheartedly" apologised to the families of the 7 July bombings.

He likened his own "insensitive" behaviour to the "provocative and controversial" cartoon publication.

Downing Street has said the behaviour of some Muslim protesters in London was "completely unacceptable".

No protesters at the demonstration on Friday and Saturday outside the Danish embassy - over cartoons first printed in a Danish newspaper - were arrested.

But Scotland Yard has said a special squad is investigating the protests and has promised a "swift" inquiry.

Mr Khayam read out his apology outside his Bedford home.

"I found the pictures deeply offensive as a Muslim and I felt the Danish newspaper had been provocative and controversial, deeply offensive and insensitive.

"Just because we have the right of free speech and a free media, it does not mean we may say and do as we please and not take into account the effect it will have on others.

I understand it was wrong, unjustified and insensitive of me to protest in this way

Omar Khayam

'Swift' police demo probe

"But by me dressing the way I did, I did just that, exactly the same as the Danish newspaper, if not worse."

He said his method of protest had offended many people, especially the families of the July bombing victims.

"This was not my intention.

"What happened in July was a tragedy and un-Islamic.

"I do not condone these murderous acts, do not support terrorism or extremism and would like to apologise unreservedly and wholeheartedly to the families of the victims."

He added: "I understand it was wrong, unjustified and insensitive of me to protest in this way."

Asif Nadim, from a Bedford mosque, said the Muslim community distanced itself from Mr Khayam's actions and supported his apology.

"Looking at this from an Islamic point of view, this was totally un-Islamic.

"We distance ourselves from the act that he has actually caused and the pain that he has caused for the families of the victims of the London bombings."

He said Mr Khayam was "very, very ashamed" of his actions and hoped that it would be the end of the matter.

Home Secretary Charles Clarke said any decisions on arrest and prosecution were "properly matters for the police and prosecution authorities".

He said that the reaction to the cartoons across Britain had "in general been respectful and restrained".

Oh well that's alright then, don't worry about it, no problem
    Only if its the same as this one?

Mailman

Comment

>"He acted on impulse - couple of friends, they got on the train and got to London, and I believe this was a impulsive, foolish reaction to what he saw was the offence of the publication of those cartoons."

Believe it or not, this is a quote from Patrick Hall, the Bedford MP who stood with Khayam as he read his apology on Monday.
      He forgot the bit about donning full suicide bomber kit. Kind of takes the edge of the impulse defence really, doesn't it?
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
        "Don't forget that you can watch Newsnight online via this website. The programme is available in broadband either live or on demand for 24 hours after originally broadcast."

It's Ok for me!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/s...bb.ram&cs=news
        Thanks H.

Your link worked.

Comment

Just watched last night's Newsnight off the website and that Chowdry fellow from al Ghurabaa is a very clever chap. Although he appears to be a ranting loon, he clearly thinks very carefully indeed about everything he says so that when you look at the transcript later there is nothing you can level at him personally. It's all "people say..." and "it is thought..." and that kind of thing so that he can always say "I never said that myself, you quote me one thing where I said...". Plus, of course, he is a master of twisting what his debating opposite says, e.g. the Labour MP from Keighly said "there are three intelligent women here and none of us are wearing veils". His response: "How dare you say that only stupid people wear the veil, you are just a racist bigot", etc., etc.

Of course, what he and his ilk want to do is whip up anti-muslim feeling in the general population. I am sure he doesn't for one moment believe half the hateful rubbish he spouts, but only by alienating the average man in the street against Islam can they start to get your average muslim in the street on side with their message and distancing themself from the western way of life. Very similar to the way the Nazis worked in inter-war Germany.

Oh, and don't forget guys and gals, free speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you like. Apparently, and according to several senior cabinet ministers as well as impulsive drug dealing devout muslims.
          Last edited by Lucifer Box; 7 February 2006, 10:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
            >"He acted on impulse - couple of friends, they got on the train and got to London, and I believe this was a impulsive, foolish reaction to what he saw was the offence of the publication of those cartoons."
            Khayam is just tulipting himself that he has breached the terms of his license and is likely to be back inside come the end of the week. I understand he and Bubba did not part on good terms and he isn't looking forward to seeing him again.

Another interesting bit on Newsnight though, seems that as well as arresting two journalists who had a copy of the cartoon for a breach of the peace, the police also threatened to arrest a van driver who stopped to ask the police why they were allowing people to wave around banners calling for people to be killed.

Comment

[QUOTE=Lucifer Box]...say "I never said that myself, you quote me one thing where I said...". Plus, of course, he is a master of twisting what his debating opposite says, e.g. the Labour MP from Dewsbury said "there are three intelligent women here and none of us are wearing veils". His response: "How dare you say that only stupid people wear the veil, you are just a racist bigot", etc., etc.
              ....QUOTE]

Lucifer,

for the record I think the only Labour MP was Anne Cryer from Keighly, West Yorkshire and the muslim lady respresenting Dewsbury was a conservative MP

It was the lass from Dewsbury who told the nutter to "get out of (or off?) our island"

Comment

Originally posted by eternalnomad
                for the record I think the only Labour MP was Anne Cryer from Keighly, West Yorkshire and the muslim lady respresenting Dewsbury was a conservative MP
                Okay, she was from Keighly not Dewsbury. All these northern places are the same to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                  Okay, she was from Keighly not Dewsbury. All these northern places are the same to me.
                  You racist bar steward

I am a northerner and you are disrepecting my race, my family and my roots.

Today I am going to protest on the streets of London with a banner that says "Death to all those who think all places north of watford are the same"

Comment

Well said, eternalnomad

You can't take these guys from al-Blackpudharoun seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box

You can't take these guys from al-Blackpudharoun seriously.
                      RESULT

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4687996.stm

Comment

Working...
                      X