• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lib Dems and HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love stories like this. I hope many of them come true.

It brings more people to realise what is done to them and increases the numbers who say, "NO".

Viva la revolution.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
      Well, when a Daddy loves a Mummy very much...

How the f**k do you think they qualified?

You have kids, you get child benefit.
      Calm down dear.. it's only a thread on CUK..

Seriously though - having no kids I was not aware that anyone with children can claim child benefit regardless of income. I always thought benefits were meant for people that actually needed them.

All the more reason to legally minimise your tax laibility IMO..
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
        All the more reason to legally minimise your tax laibility IMO..
        Aye.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
          I love stories like this. I hope many of them come true.

It brings more people to realise what is done to them and increases the numbers who say, "NO".

Viva la revolution.
          Hey, if the price of living in Utopia is having a social conscience, then fine, count me in. You freeloaders are welcome to piss off to whichever country you like.

Comment

I was not aware that anyone with children can claim child benefit regardless of income.
            I'd never realised that before either.
            Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
            +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Does this mean they'll change all the laws so that they can actually force people to pay back what they think they owe?

Or will it be a case of the 'threat' and 'hassle' of bullying investigations will make people cough up/pay more tax in the first place?

If they decide to go after 150,000 a year instead of 5000 but the 'rules' haven't changed won't that end up just being very expensive for HMRC?
              Will HRMC go after the multi-imillionaires who have access to high priced lawyers and accountants or the one man band IT contractors.

I predict a few high profile 'fat cat' cases to get the media onside then they'll come for us...

Low hanging fruit is the easiest to pluck.

Comment

How are they going to pay for and implement it all?

Oh hang on...

They are going to have to change the laws so that the accountants don't win.

Has he thought this through or is he just mouthing off to his party to try and get them behind him again for the next election?

I wonder what Dave thinks of it all?
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                  I'd never realised that before either.
                  What? Are you serious? If you haven't claimed then do so.

Originally posted by HMGov
                  Who can get Child Benefit?

You may be able to get Child Benefit if any of the following apply:
                  • your child is under 16
                  • your child is over 16 and in education or training that qualifies for Child Benefit
                  • your child is 16 or 17, has left education or training that qualifies for Child Benefit and is registered for work, education or training with an approved body
                  You can get Child Benefit even if your child doesn’t live with you. However, if they live with someone else, you can only get Child Benefit if:
                  • you pay towards the upkeep of your child
                  • what you pay is at least the same as the amount of Child Benefit you get for your child
                  • the person bringing up your child is not getting Child Benefit for them - if you and another person both claim Child Benefit for the same child, only one of you can get it
                  You can also get Child Benefit for a child even if you are not their parent, but you have to be responsible for them to qualify.

How much Child Benefit will you get?

There are two separate amounts, with a higher amount for your eldest (or only) child. You get £20.30 a week for your eldest child and £13.40 a week for each of your other children.

Comment

How are they going to pay for and implement it all?

Oh hang on...

They are going to have to change the laws so that the accountants don't win.

Has he thought this through or is he just mouthing off to his party to try and get them behind him again for the next election?

I wonder what Dave thinks of it all?
                    If they plug the loopholes that Accountants have exploited and don't try and act retrospectively then fine, what's the problem?

Just pay up and smile.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                      If they plug the loopholes that Accountants have exploited and don't try and act retrospectively then fine, what's the problem?

Just pay up and smile.
                      Hmmm. BN66 has shown us all that they can, and may, do just that.
                      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                      X