• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I had a beer last night with Bullwinkle

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A different type hairy incident yesterday.

We were travelling down from Stewart to Valemount, 550 miles into the journey, in mountain country on a narrow road. We came around a corner and there was a guy jumping out of a lorry with a fire extinguisher. The car parked on the other side of the road had a tire on fire.
    We pulled up 50 m behind the car and I went up to see if I could help. The fire spread under the bonnet and the lorry driver gave up trying to put it out.

There was noone in the car, and the lorry driver said he had just passed a guy hitching a lift.

The car was well ablaze now and starting to explode. I got back to our car,we had a big choice, go back to Prince George on a detour (an extra 350 miles-ish)or run the gauntlet, risking the tank exploding. Once that tank exploded, the road would be closed.

The bars close early around here, so we took the risk. I weaved past the burning vehicle, then we saw it go bang about a minute later in the rear view. The missus started laughing. I thought it was nervous tension but she had this thought of the driver explaining to the recovery team 'now be careful, its a new car. you will recognise it because it has a tiny scratch on the bonnet, and a little chip on the windscreen'

apart from that, more bears and mooses.

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      Some bastard hunter had shot a moose, sawed its head off and left it out in the back of his pickup.
      Not to worry, there's still a few years left and I'm sure the Republicans will find a new candidate to stand for election.

Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Don't leave home without a courgette.

Comment

I have been inspired. Am taking March 2011 off and taking the family on a road-trip.

Have done quite a few trips to the USA ( Done much of California, Texas, and New York) before but loads still left on my list of things to do. Am in the early planning stages but looking forward to it already.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
            I have been inspired. Am taking March 2011 off and taking the family on a road-trip.

Have done quite a few trips to the USA ( Done much of California, Texas, and New York) before but loads still left on my list of things to do. Am in the early planning stages but looking forward to it already.
            How long would you go for? - I was thinking of doing a 6 month road trip in a camper through the States, wasn't sure if the immigration stasi would allow it though
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              wasn't sure if the immigration stasi would allow it though
              I thought you liked border controls and were generally anti-immigrants?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                I thought you liked border controls and were generally anti-immigrants?
                Only a Scottish border
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Nice one OS. A month is about right in my opinion.
                  Given the different locations and pace of movement, its like four or five different holidays rolled into one.

We can barely remember San Diego now.

A camper van is a seductive idea, and we looked at it closely, but it seemed expensive, slow and a bit limiting. let me know how it pans out in practice though.

At the moment we are in Valemount British Columbia. It is our last full week and we are relaxing. There are no bears in the area so we have been out walking through the wilderness. Only little six milers, but the clean air, silence and the pure tranquility is fantastic. We walk around a corner into a group of caribou, they look at us then one gets nervous, twitches, then the whole bunch gallop away in their funny gait. not even enough time to get the camera up.

9 days from now I will be building the planning screens on the purchase order system.

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    How long would you go for? - I was thinking of doing a 6 month road trip in a camper through the States, wasn't sure if the immigration stasi would allow it though
                    Initially I was thinking just 3 weeks. I keep adding "must do's" to the list so am now at just over 4 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                      Only a Scottish border
                      Ah so Cliphead is Troll afterall...

Comment

Working...
                      X