• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear: Four million households where no adults work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    And that "Midsomer" place is a real anomaly!!!
    Population of a few dozen and a murder every week? They should call it "Lewisham"!!
    Aye, Midsomer is definitely not a place to retire to.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
      Or explain the French having a thriving motor industry with Citroen, Renault, Peugeot all making good products and employing lots of French people.

If Thatcher had lived in France, we'd still be making our own cars and the French would all be jobless chavs.
      British cars were feckin crap, that is why we stopped making them.

I often see very old French cars on the street, still working and doing a job. I have not seen a Triumph Acclaim since the mid 80s when they all fell apart.

Let's try and be accurate when looking back into history.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        British cars were feckin crap, that is why we stopped making them.

I often see very old French cars on the street, still working and doing a job. I have not seen a Triumph Acclaim since the mid 80s when they all fell apart.

Let's try and be accurate when looking back into history.
        I was under the impression that more cars are being made in Britain than ever before, but largely by Japanese companies whose quality requirements don't allow for leaving unpainted bodywork lying around outside for the weekend or going on strike when you're asked to pick up a screwdriver instead of a spanner.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          When was the last time you saw a Rover 3500 SD1?

Dreadful POS.

I'm sure there are more Rover P5B (the big saloon) and P6 (2000 type) around than that piece of poorly engineered crap.
          My Dad had a company Rover SD1 2300 for about 6 months, 4 months of which it was at the dealer for repairs. Eventually his employer got sick of all his sales staff phoning in from motorway services saying they'd broken down, got rid of all the British cars and dealt out VWs and BMWs to the salespeople. The effect on revenues was quite predictable.

Comment

British Leyland staff used to take tents to work and have a kip out the back on the grass.

The workers ran these companies down, not the goverment.

I for one would rather pay someone 5 grand a year to sit in a house doing nothing than pay him 40k a year to build crap cars and go on strike every 6 months.

Comment

British Leyland staff used to take tents to work and have a kip out the back on the grass.

The workers ran these companies down, not the goverment.

I for one would rather pay someone 5 grand a year to sit in a house doing nothing than pay him 40k a year to build crap cars and go on strike every 6 months.
              hours

Comment

When was the last time you saw a Rover 3500 SD1?

Dreadful POS.
                The electrics were unreliable. And I knew one poor soul with a 1970s XJS...

I'm sure there are more Rover P5B (the big saloon) and P6 (2000 type) around than that piece of poorly engineered crap.
                Both fine cars and really comfy seats. Fords of that era had seats which did my back in.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  I was under the impression that more cars are being made in Britain than ever before, but largely by Japanese companies whose quality requirements don't allow for leaving unpainted bodywork lying around outside for the weekend or going on strike when you're asked to pick up a screwdriver instead of a spanner.
                  An ex-colleague's commute took him past a Ford factory. They'd leave the body shells out in the rain for extended periods. Apparently a light coat of rust gave the paint a good key.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                    An ex-colleague's commute took him past a Ford factory. They'd leave the body shells out in the rain for extended periods. Apparently a light coat of rust gave the paint a good key.
                    Jesus Wept.

How do you quality control that?

Comment

Jesus Wept.

How do you quality control that?
                      In another Tale of British Manufacturing, the production director was extremely miffed by the number of products rejected by a newly created quality control department. By political maneuvering he managed to shift them into his department and then ordered them to pass more products. I am not making this up. (It was an electronics company.)

Comment

Working...
                      X