• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fighting Fatigue?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do a similar commute, from Wilmslow (Manchester Airport area) to Bradford in West Yorkshire.

My coping strategy used to B&B on Wednesday’s to give me a break and a lie-in.

I ended up asking to work 7-3, and am very firm in only working beyond 3 in very exceptional circumstances. I take just 10 mins max for lunch, but make sure I get away from the desk.

Instead of listening to favourite cd’s I have taken to conversational radio like Radio2.

I wake up at 5:40, on the road at 6am with travel flask of coffee with a banana / quality (sometimes home-made) cereal bar. Once at work I get fruit salad and proper coffee.

Lunch is usually fairly substantial as gives me energy for the rest of the day, lighter meal at home.

Gym junkie, which helps a lot – try going for a jog 2-3 evenings after work as a min.

I get to bed around 10, with everything all sorted, with a 9pm bed-time mid-week but only if tired enough to sleep well.

I would STONGLY urge talking to clientco about working something like 7-3, or 10-6 so your 60 mile commute is only an hour. This helps IMMENSELY. Especially as I have VPN and phone for anything essential out of my usual hours. Telcon meetings for after 3 are also a lifesaver. (Do you have a telcon number you can use? If not, request one or even buy one).

Finally – good quality tyres and tracking are ESSENTIAL. I replaced my 3mm tyres for a new set – like driving a new car, and nowhere near as tiring.

Good luck, and stay safe on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post

Finally – good quality tyres and tracking are ESSENTIAL. I replaced my 3mm tyres for a new set – like driving a new car, and nowhere near as tiring.

Good luck, and stay safe on the road.
      That’s psychological or you never bothered to inflate your tyres. 3mm on tyres are fine and in fact your older tyres will produces less friction, give you more mpg and faster. New tyres have a lot of friction and are more prone to punctures because the deep tread will pick up debris.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        That’s psychological or you never bothered to inflate your tyres. 3mm on tyres are fine and in fact your older tyres will produces less friction, give you more mpg and faster. New tyres have a lot of friction and are more prone to punctures because the deep tread will pick up debris.
        Don't agree. The police change tyres at 4mm.

Pressures are spot on - they are nitrogen inflated.

Much more grippy on slip roads, and handle amazingly better.

Life is too short not to have good quality tyres for the sake of £60 a wheel a couple of times a year.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
          You should be a life coach. I'm not sure the skinhead look would suit me Mich.

What's the sock tip? Not that I wear them to work, like.
          Natalie Portman with cropped hair. Phwoooaaar!

Anyway, sock tip.

First, collect all the socks in your house (quite difficult, as some will inevitably have found their way behind radiators and under the sofa), light a fire and burn the lot of them. This might seem unpleasant and wasteful, but it is an essential step in getting things sorted out.

Second, visit a cash and carry or clothing wholesaler; alternatively, ask your local clothes shop to help you. Order 100 (at least) identical pairs of socks. Now hang each individual sock one for one on a long string. Remove socks from string as needed for wearing. After washing socks, place them at the back of the queue on the string. I can guarantee three things assuming you wear fresh socks every day (which you do, I hope);

1 Someday you will find you have an odd number of socks. Don’t ask why; you will. Blame the sock monster; there’s one in every house.

2 Someday you will run out of socks.

3 It will be a couple of years before situation 2 arises, giving you plenty of time to stock up again.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
            Don't agree. The police change tyres at 4mm.

Pressures are spot on - they are nitrogen inflated.

Much more grippy on slip roads, and handle amazingly better.

Life is too short not to have good quality tyres for the sake of £60 a wheel a couple of times a year.
            Tyre-road friction and tyre slip
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              Thank you Roger Irrelevant........

If you have a child will it have an encyplopedia in it's arm from birth??

Comment

Working...
              X