• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fighting Fatigue?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Get ready the night before so you can leave at the last minute. East breakfast at work.
    Good tip.

Reminds me of when I used to work shifts - when on the early shift the guys used to joke that it was a waste doing your morning dump at home when you could do it on work time and have more time in bed.
    When you have to get up at 05:30, they are right.
    Back at the coal face

Comment

Originally posted by al_cam View Post
      it was a waste doing your morning dump at home when you could do it on work time and have more time in bed AND earn 10 to 20 quid while sitting on clientco's bog, which you don't have to clean.
      ftfy!
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
        For those of you commuting daily and/or putting in long hours, how do you combat the inevitable tiredness? I am back to commuting (via car) and want to try to avoid falling asleep on the M6.
        Last year I was seriously at risk of nodding off each morning when driving 1.5 - 2 hours on the M4 each morning. Turned out that it was because I was wearing a big warm coat (it was in the frosty winter). The sensation of wearing something like a sleeping bag in a warm environment just makes you feel like you're tucked up in bed and you get drowsy.
        Now I just wear normal clothing and get the car warmed up as quickly as possible.

Also, listen to something on the radio that makes you think. Helps if you're interested in politics and current affairs but I find Radio 4 always keeps me awake during early morning drivetime. Listening to what Brown, Darling and Mandy were up to would always ensure steam was coming from my ears.

Thankfully not had a commute like that in over a year.

Comment

Go to bed early and have no life (sleep - drive - work - drive - eat - bed)

Try to find a temporary lover near client co ? . My preferred option.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
            Go to bed early and have no life (sleep - drive - work - drive - eat - bed)

Try to find a temporary lover near client co ? . My preferred option.
            Find a B&B near clientco and check out the local restaurants*.

* might not apply to Swindon
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Having the car uncomfortably hot will help prevent you dozing off, in much the same way as it's hard to sleep at home on a too warm summer evening.

There is very little you can do to get the time back if you have a long commute. Work out which motorway services has the best shops, or find a supermarket local to work and shop there. Get a cleaner. Try and persuade them to let you work from home.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Firstly watch your diet and don't overeat. Give the booze a miss during the week.

Secondly try and stay fit by getting regular exercise - maybe go to the gym at lunchtime.

Thirdly try and work from home occasionally.

Lastly, make the most of your weekends.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Bananas and water.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    Having the car uncomfortably hot will help prevent you dozing off, in much the same way as it's hard to sleep at home on a too warm summer evening.
                    I was going to suggest keeping cold for the same reason.

Load music has been shown to have an effect, or how about getting some audio-books? Energy drinks like redbull are effective but I would cut down on caffeine during the day and focus on just before driving so you don't OD
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

This whole thread just makes me feel sad, am I alone here?
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X