• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ryanair boss says air stewardesses should be allowed to land planes in an emergency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    A dozen or so African countries would, no problem sir.

European airspace, not on your nelly.
    Some citations are approved by the CAA for single crewed operations (and there are probably more recent approvals) within UK airspace subject to certain other flight equipment. Of course this is somewhat different to a mid size commercial airliner. The CAA would like there to always be a CPL in the second seat - but cannot enforce it and recognise it as unlikely with the increasing number of very light jets.

In terms of larger commercial aircraft my own belief (so almost certainly wrong) is that manufacturers will be looking towards approval on a single pilot basis with a "safety pilot". This being somebody who is qualified and rated but not type approved.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
      In terms of larger commercial aircraft my own belief (so almost certainly wrong) is that manufacturers will be looking towards approval on a single pilot basis with a "safety pilot". This being somebody who is qualified and rated but not type approved.
      That's it, I'll be taking a train to mainland Europe next time I go there...

Comment

This is called 'get free publicity on a slow news day' - it is from the same drawer as 'removing all seats from planes'.

utter rubbish generating headlines and time on the telly

Comment

[QUOTE=Lightship;1190127]Would you want one of these in your cockpit?

No, but I bet you'd like to be in hers (fnaar, fnaar)
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

while (speed.Current <= speed.Required)
            {
            thrust.Increase();
            // Todo. What if the engines don't respond ?!?!?
            }
            Hey! I wrote that bit of code when I was at Rolls Royce!
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Dead easy, you can also use it for email.

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Better Ryanair solution; get a passenger to land it and then charge him 40 quid for the privilege.

Easy-peasy.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Teach them to take off and land as well...

..in case of a pilots strike.

After a months experience they could lay the pilots off all together, share holder value.
                  Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                  X