• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Universe 'likely to grow forever'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://space.mit.edu/home/tegmark/dimensions.pdf

Deep stuff.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I'm having trouble imagining more than one time dimension too.

Comment

On the other hand.

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
        And

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          We're just a bunch of monkeys on a rock, I don't believe we have the capacity to comprehend the real answers.
          You might be a monkey on a rock, doesn't mean the rest of us are...

HTH monkey boy
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            You might be a monkey on a rock, doesn't mean the rest of us are...

HTH, monkey boy
            ftfy

Comment

The place where you were born is millions of miles away from where you are now. The place you are now is many miles from the place you were when you first started reading this post.

If there is no time, then you must have been in two places at once. That means your body is millions of miles wide, you were dead at the same time as you were alive and you were drunk at the same time as you were sober. There is no experience, so experience points are an error, therefore there is no elite. I spent many years playing elite. If there is no elite, i get those years back so therefore time exist.

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                Simply not true. The "flow" of time might be attributed to human perception, but even if you view the universe as an unchanging four dimensional whole the time dimension is special. Without it's specialness, concepts such as "the speed of light" (which limits the ability of one point in the continuum to affect what happens at another) couldn't exist in the form they do.
                Why do you think a universe that exhibits change is an extra dimension?

The universe is not linear, our perception of it is, this is what we call time. That does not mean it exists.

The universe is changing, there is even suggestion that the speed of light has changed since the first structures came into being.

As it says in the dictionary time "the indefinite continued progress of existence and events in the past, present, and future"

The problem with that is there is nothing to stop me recreating the events of yesterday exactly as they were, today; how would you know the difference?
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

What's beyond the outer reaches of matter in the universe? Does that space go on forever? I hope not, it makes my bottom go funny trying to imagine it.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    What's beyond the outer reaches of matter in the universe? Does that space go on forever? I hope not, it makes my bottom go funny trying to imagine it.
                    Now that is a question.

I've always thought that the day mankind overcomes the engineering challenges to build a craft to reach such distances you'd find a little label that reads 'made in China'
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                      No. The standard way to think about it is that we are on the outside of an inflating (4 dimensional) balloon. Everything is receding away from everything else and every point is at the centre of the universe. Nothing is outside the balloon. Not even nothing, it doesn't exist.

Comment

Working...
                      X