• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working to Live, or Living to Work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    "I work to live not live to work" is the sort of idiot statement that you would expect from someone who's just asked you if you want fries with that.

Just accept that work is part of life and try to enjoy life in and out of work.
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Not really. Company CEOs and traders giving themselves ulcers and heart attacks working 80 hour weeks, when they earn £1million a year and could retire to a life of comfort... but would find their lives empty without work.

Think how many retired people feel aimless without work. I wonder if contractors are different in that regard.
    CEO's and traders working 80 hour weeks is the other end of the extreme, but as for the rest, you're just proving my point. Many people are happy and get a strong sense of satisfaction from their jobs so when they haven't got that job taking up 8 hours a day 5 days a week of course their going to feel like there is a gaping hole in their life. Doesn't mean they don't also enjoy their life outside of work.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

I think lots of people hate having to work, and still up hating being retired. Their lives are centred around work. Very few people just decide to give up work and pursue their hobbies as soon as they save enough to make this achievable. Whether its addiction to pursuing money or ego I don't know.

Not saying there's anything terribly wrong in a fairly work-centred life, but people would be better admitting this than pretending they're only working for the money.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I think lots of people hate having to work, and still up hating being retired. Their lives are centred around work. Very few people just decide to give up work and pursue their hobbies as soon as they save enough to make this achievable. Whether its addiction to pursuing money or ego I don't know.
        If you think about it work is social i.e. allows you adult conversation other than your family and gives you something to moan about. If you have been around in the day the only people until recently about have been the old and ill looking, parents with brats and chavs.

That's why lots of retired people I know work whether it's voluntary work or part-time/one-off work for money so they can go aboard.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I guess we can only see it from our own experiences.
          Mine is of my dad and his work buddies, all old school engineering types who started in the 50's and 60's. Now they're all happily retired, nice pensions, plenty of holidays etc... and clearly enjoying themselves and post retirement life but you still get the feeling occasionally that a key part of their life has been taken away from them.
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
          X