• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Globalisation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TazMaN
    You'd have to adjust to life in what is still a 3rd world country. No, hold on a minute, we're already there aren't we?
    The rich in a 3rd world country live much like the rich in a First World country.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
      So what's your solution? Snap import tariffs on everything coming in, ban companies from using overseas labour, put the walls up?
      What do you think the consequences of that will be? Abject poverty and probably the fastest decline of civilisation in history.
      There is no solution until such time as those subscribing to and encouraging globalisation acknowledge that the realisation of it will slaughter the public purse.

I am not diagramatically opposed to globalisation but wish those encouraging it would at least acknowledge the significant trouble it would cause.

Because with the current public purse the UK simply could not compete, creating the very abject poverty you mention.

Ditch most of the free education, the NHS, social services and most of the public workforce. Ditch council taxes and local business rates and fine, the UK could then compete on a much more level playing field.

Oh and ditch most of the regulations and employment rights too. Our competitors aren't hamstrung with such niceties.
      Last edited by BobTheCrate; 31 January 2006, 14:15.

Comment

India

I got a little side business, where I broker exports of beer and wine from Europe to India. Spent a fair bit of time there last year. There are some job opportunities there for European/American educated IT pros, but Europe and America is still where all the best jobs are. Expat salaries in India are very high, compared to what your Indian counterparts will be making and most employers will even provide you with housing, servants and car with chauffeur. It's great if you want to chalk up a bit of experience, but definitely not a good idea if you want to live there for the long term. India is developping, but it is still a 3rd world country with according living conditions (i.e. not guaranteed to have running water/electricity, 24 hrs a day, depite living in a posh neighborhood etc.)

If you speak another European language, there are plenty of good IT/Business Development opportunities. Work Permits don't appear to be too complicated to acquire either.

Check out www.naukri.com, the jobserve of India!

Comment

Originally posted by BobTheCrate
          There is no solution until such time as those subscribing to and encouraging globalisation acknowledge that the realisation of it will slaughter the public purse.

I am not diagramatically opposed to globalisation but wish those encouraging it would at least acknowledge the significant trouble it would cause.

Because with the current public purse the UK simply could not compete, creating the very abject poverty you mention.

Ditch most of the free education, the NHS, social services and most of the public workforce. Ditch council taxes and local business rates and fine, the UK could then compete on a much more level playing field.

Oh and ditch most of the regulations and employment rights too. Our competitors aren't hamstrung with such niceties.
          Ah excellent. A genuine Tory agenda. The only way to make the country great again.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Trouble is sasguru you seem to be under the misapprehension that we can have it both ways.

It's no good dismissing the downsides of what you subscribe to by dismissing them as a Tory agenda.

Like I said 1st time round. You pays y'money and takes y'choice.

Comment

Originally posted by BobTheCrate
              Trouble is sasguru you seem to be under the misapprehension that we can have it both ways.

It's no good dismissing the downsides of what you subscribe to by dismissing them as a Tory agenda.

Like I said 1st time round. You pays y'money and takes y'choice.
              I wasn't being sarcastic. Economically I am a Tory. It's time to substantially dismantle the welfare state as it's not working. All it succeeds in doing is bring mediocrity to education, health provision and transport.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Crown Royal
                I got a little side business, where I broker exports of beer and wine from Europe to India. Spent a fair bit of time there last year. There are some job opportunities there for European/American educated IT pros, but Europe and America is still where all the best jobs are. Expat salaries in India are very high, compared to what your Indian counterparts will be making and most employers will even provide you with housing, servants and car with chauffeur. It's great if you want to chalk up a bit of experience, but definitely not a good idea if you want to live there for the long term. India is developping, but it is still a 3rd world country with according living conditions (i.e. not guaranteed to have running water/electricity, 24 hrs a day, depite living in a posh neighborhood etc.)

If you speak another European language, there are plenty of good IT/Business Development opportunities. Work Permits don't appear to be too complicated to acquire either.

Check out www.naukri.com, the jobserve of India!
                Many thanks for that very useful information.

PS Do you think there might be an interest in exporting Belgian Beers for the Indian Market?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                  I wasn't being sarcastic. Economically I am a Tory. It's time to substantially dismantle the welfare state as it's not working. All it succeeds in doing is bring mediocrity to education, health provision and transport.
                  Such is the reach of globalisation, the old divisions of Labour and Conservative have been blurred viz. New Labour and Cameron. This means the old lefties and the traditional Conservatives are excluded. In fact because decisions are now made further away from the voter even the electorate is excluded.

Comment

Governments always have had little influence, well that is apart from dictators who have the power to repress and destroy.

The world is driven by technological developments, resources and individuals, who are all motivated in the same way, i.e. sex money and rock 'n' roll.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

As DA has noted in a previous post, it was the techies who made globalisation possible. Talk about hoist with your own petard!
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X