• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

To any Islamic fundamentalists who happen to be reading CUK…

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Greek did alright though.
    Hmmm, yes the Greeks did rather well with few tools, but had a few drawbacks.
    Mathematically, the were uneasy equally of the infinity and infintesimals and failed to develop calculus, the biggest and arguably most useful practical mathematical advance (although Archimedes came close).
    Also they don't seem to have been very good at harnessing their many geniuses' insights into practical technology to beat their enemies.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Mathematically, the were uneasy equally of the infinity and infintesimals and failed to develop calculus, the biggest and arguably most useful practical mathematical advance (although Archimedes came close).
      Also they don't seem to have been very good at harnessing their many geniuses' insights into practical technology to beat their enemies.
      ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

We already know you're a bit of a dunce, there really is no need to demonstrate it to all and sundry.

Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Archimedes did quite well at the siege of Syracuse. I think the Greeks gave us quite enough without calculus etc. Did a pretty good job of conquering Afghanistan as well with a small army.
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Archimedes did quite well at the siege of Syracuse. I think the Greeks gave us quite enough without calculus etc. Did a pretty good job of conquering Afghanistan as well with a small army.

Not knocking the Greek contribution which was indeed immense.
            But AFAIK nothing matches the great flowering in sciences, maths, technology, arts and literature that occured in Europe from C16th to C20th.
            I suspect however that history will decide that this was the peak of European (Western) civilisation and that we have started our decline now.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Not knocking the Greek contribution which was indeed immense.
              But AFAIK nothing matches the great flowering in sciences, maths, technology, arts and literature that occured in Europe from C16th to C20th.
              I suspect however that history will decide that this was the peak of European (Western) civilisation and that we have started our decline now.
              What perchance was this based on ?

Fecking Greek "sciences, maths, technology, arts and literature" that flowed westwards from extant texts still available in Constantinople as the Ottomans were advancing.
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Not entirely. There was quite a contribution from the Islamic world and elsewhere that flowed into Europe as well. But it was just a starting point.

There has been enormous progress in maths and science during the last 500 years, and it was mostly in Europe at first, but we shouldn't forget that it's a global enterprise now. I also think the invention of the computer lends it new impetus, it's far from over.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    Not entirely. There was quite a contribution from the Islamic world and elsewhere that flowed into Europe as well. But it was just a starting point.

There has been enormous progress in maths and science during the last 500 years, and it was mostly in Europe at first, but we shouldn't forget that it's a global enterprise now. I also think the invention of the computer lends it new impetus, it's far from over.
                    Yeah, without Manchestoh you lot would be f**ked - and not in a good way!

Comment

What perchance was this based on ?

Fecking Greek "sciences, maths, technology, arts and literature" that flowed westwards from extant texts still available in Constantinople as the Ottomans were advancing.
                      The Greeks contributed certainly but without algebra, the idea of the algorithm, the Hindu-Arabic numeric system etc would it have been as profound? You can't underestimate how important the place-system and zero are. It allows us to represent any number with just 9 symbols.
                      Do you think we could have got to the moon if maths was done with Greek/Roman numerals?
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X