• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business mileage receipts ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by freshblue
    I thought it was related to the HMRC now asking for employers to keep receipts. I doubt any of the brollies are happy they have to do all the paperwork! Cheers Mr Brown
    Indeed. I used to just go to Parasol's website and put in the mileage, and presumably it's all automated from their end. Assuming that most contractors drive daily and don't claim for accomodation, the likes of Parasol are going to have thousands of extra letters to deal with each month and 10s of thousands of receipts to file. I feel a bit sorry for them really.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

You only need to keep receipts if you want to claim back the VAT element. Parasol and other brollies are just making the extra off the back off us - you watch, their prices will be going up soon to cover the cost of administering this.

Someone like Parasol are making a lot of money out of this, due to the nature of their "employees".

Petrol is a part of the allowance, but there is also an element to cover fair wear and tear - they'll be wanting receipts from services / new tyres etc next.

Comment

Don't think so chap - only if HMRC make em! I doubt they really want to handle all those receipts!!

Comment

Rewarding efficiency?

This seems crazy - I've got a 2.3 litre petrol although it's pretty efficient, which is why I bought it, as I'm doing 600-700 miles per week.

It costs £65 to fill up, and I get 500-550 miles per tank.

Now it seems I can only claim 406 miles as Parasol states I have to produce fuel receipts of 16 pound per hundred miles claimed.

Hmm.... may have to start asking the wife to collect receipts when she fills hers up.

Comment

Originally posted by tricknot
            This seems crazy - I've got a 2.3 litre petrol although it's pretty efficient, which is why I bought it, as I'm doing 600-700 miles per week.

It costs £65 to fill up, and I get 500-550 miles per tank.

Now it seems I can only claim 406 miles as Parasol states I have to produce fuel receipts of 16 pound per hundred miles claimed.

Hmm.... may have to start asking the wife to collect receipts when she fills hers up.
            My understanding as the mileage rates are not affected some EU rule to prove that the UK is not scamming VAT or summat. You will still get whatever you claim now...

Comment

But you don't - you have to give Parasol (or any other Brollie company) receipts to support your claim. If you have £40 worth of receipts you can only claim 400 miles (depending on cc I guess) even though you have done 500 miles.

Comment

Hang on, have I read this right? The only reason you need receipts then is so Parasol can claim the VAT back? Cheeky feckers.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

That's what I have been trying to say

Probably explains the other thread of Mr Taxman taking an interest in Umbrella companies.

Comment

But they are refusing to pay mileage expenses unless original VAT receipts are submitted. Isn't that illegal? If it isn't, it's certainly immoral.
                    I suggest you Parasolers start composing your stroppy emails now.
                    Prize for the best one. A free month's subscription to El Duders webcam. 2nd prize, 3 months.
                    Well, what are you waiting for?
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Dear Mr Parasol,

at the end of this current contract I will no longer require your services

Thankyou

Comment

Working...
                      X