• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just in case

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't bother stockpiling anything if I were you. You're such a bedwetter that anybody with any nowse will come round your house and nick it all off you anyway.

The other option is to keep a land rover in the garage with enough food/water/tools/tents/fuel for a couple of weeks - enough to get you out of the city and into the countryside.

A better option would be an enduro bike - you can carry less but you can get out of gridlocked streets. I know you've got kids though, so that's probably not an option.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      things are going to go nutty in the middle east, what should I be stockpiling in my shed? Gerry cans of diesel? Freeze dried food? Long life first aid kits?

Should I be reading books on which mushrooms indigenous to our fair lands are edible? Ray Mears books?

Christmas is coming and I need to write a list.
      Only one country had used nuclear weapons against another country.
      The same country had threatened a first nuclear strike with weapons against the USSR .
      The same country had threatened a first nuclear strike with weapons against Iraq.
      The same country has threatened a first nuclear strike with weapons against Iran.

You are more likely to get radiation from drinking Evan water as the Alps were highly contaminated after Chernobyl.

The maximum amount of Diesel you can store is 20lts

Paddy’s house was next to an army base in the cold war. It would have been pointless to have a fallout shelter because any strike would have left a 500 metre deep crater!
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

If you've a few day's notice, how about jetting off somewhere less overpopulated. Favourite destinations on a postcard please.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

The maximum amount of Diesel you can store is 20lts
          Is there a maximum on chip (or other edible) fat?

Comment

To survive even a small nuclear war you would, amongst other things, need to stockpile enough food for 10 years.

http://www.atmos-chem-phys-discuss.n...2006-print.pdf

Personally I don't think I could take 10 years of spam, and I can't be arsed to create a hermetically sealed self sustaining underground bunker large enough to accommodate a pig farm and sausage factory, so 1 gun and 1 bullet will do for me.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              To survive even a small nuclear war you would, amongst other things, need to stockpile enough food for 10 years.

Personally I don't think I could take 10 years of spam, and I can't be arsed to create a hermetically sealed self sustaining underground bunker large enough to accommodate a pig farm and sausage factory, so 1 gun and 1 bullet will do for me.
              Alternatively, you could live near any major population centre or army base and get vaporised with everybody else.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post

2 tins of beans/day * 365 days * 10 years = a cube of tins measuring 20 * 20 * 20 + a few tins of spam etc on top. Doable.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  Doable.
                  As long as you're happy to protect your stash for those 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    Alternatively, you could live near any major population centre or army base and get vaporised with everybody else.
                    Major population centres and army bases in western Europe are unlikely to be targets in a regional conflict between India & Pakistan. However such a conflict would still result in crops failing globally, requiring one to choose between death and 10 years of spam munching.

I suppose you could break it up with a bit of tinned fish, and one could of course farm salmon, prawns, lobsters and keep chicken and ducks, and possibly sheep and pigs, although I suspect the smell would get unbearable fairly quickly without some sort of high tech air cleaning system.

The other problem would be sunlight. You would need something like this as part of your bunker complex.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                      2 tins of beans/day * 365 days * 10 years = a cube of tins measuring 20 * 20 * 20 + a few tins of spam etc on top. Doable.
                      You have forgotten bread. You can't make beans on toast without bread. I think you might need some vitamin pills as well, I'm not convinced 10 years of beans constitutes a balanced diet.

You would need to take shelf life into account as well:

Shelf Life of Food

Comment

Working...
                      X