• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain suddenly finds cure for bad backs and depression

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    The only benefit you've missed out is benefit of doubt
    Whereas you have missed out on the benefit of being in the remotest way interesting.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      So how does that work then?

Surely incapacity benefits and job seekers etc are all means tested. So if you're earning Lockhouse then how come the wife gets benefits?? Or us this another benefit i've missed!
      If this lady has been independently earning, and paying tax, for 10, 20, 30 years, and then suffers an illness like the BigC or MS, or a serious injury (like my other half did in an RTA) - which could happen to anyone at anytime! - why the hell should she be means tested in her hour of need?

She is far more worthy than many fraudsters out there. I'm sure you weren't intending to call Mrs L that? As a society we need to protect our genuinely vulnerable members, while shaming the abusers only.
      Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
        If this lady has been independently earning, and paying tax, for 10, 20, 30 years, and then suffers an illness like the BigC or MS, or a serious injury (like my other half did in an RTA) - which could happen to anyone at anytime! - why the hell should she be means tested in her hour of need?

She is far more worthy than many fraudsters out there. I'm sure you weren't intending to call Mrs L that? As a society we need to protect our genuinely vulnerable members, while shaming the abusers only.
        I must admit, I got the impression that MF was merely questioning whether or not the system allows her to claim, in practical terms, on an independent basis, rather than suggesting she is not entitled. For all the reasons you cite yourself.
        For me, the most galling thing about the abuse of the system is that it penalises most the genuine cases who would, were it not for the actions of the abusers, be entitled to even more help than they currently get.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

As Sb says.

I'm interested in how it works etc

My partner worked until we had kids. Maternity is over etc and she no longer works.

So how does it all work. Benefits, job seekers, incapacity etc etc

Always wondered what u can can't claim for.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

As Sb says.

I'm interested in how it works etc

My partner worked until we had kids. Maternity is over etc and she no longer works.

So how does it all work. Benefits, job seekers, incapacity etc etc

Always wondered what u can can't claim for.
            Gawd only knows, we had a poor year 2009/2010 yet now we're both working so far this year we've had a 3.5k rebate and free prescriptions for 12 months.

We really could have done with this 12 months ago, we don't really need it now.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

So how does that work then?

Surely incapacity benefits and job seekers etc are all means tested. So if you're earning Lockhouse then how come the wife gets benefits?? Or us this another benefit i've missed!
              Incapacity isn't means tested as far as I know. A fellow subbie's wife gets it even though he's on > 100k.
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
              X