• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Britain suddenly finds cure for bad backs and depression"

Collapse

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    So how does that work then?

Surely incapacity benefits and job seekers etc are all means tested. So if you're earning Lockhouse then how come the wife gets benefits?? Or us this another benefit i've missed!
    Incapacity isn't means tested as far as I know. A fellow subbie's wife gets it even though he's on > 100k.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    As Sb says.

I'm interested in how it works etc

My partner worked until we had kids. Maternity is over etc and she no longer works.

So how does it all work. Benefits, job seekers, incapacity etc etc

Always wondered what u can can't claim for.
    Gawd only knows, we had a poor year 2009/2010 yet now we're both working so far this year we've had a 3.5k rebate and free prescriptions for 12 months.

We really could have done with this 12 months ago, we don't really need it now.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    As Sb says.

I'm interested in how it works etc

My partner worked until we had kids. Maternity is over etc and she no longer works.

So how does it all work. Benefits, job seekers, incapacity etc etc

Always wondered what u can can't claim for.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
    If this lady has been independently earning, and paying tax, for 10, 20, 30 years, and then suffers an illness like the BigC or MS, or a serious injury (like my other half did in an RTA) - which could happen to anyone at anytime! - why the hell should she be means tested in her hour of need?

She is far more worthy than many fraudsters out there. I'm sure you weren't intending to call Mrs L that? As a society we need to protect our genuinely vulnerable members, while shaming the abusers only.
    I must admit, I got the impression that MF was merely questioning whether or not the system allows her to claim, in practical terms, on an independent basis, rather than suggesting she is not entitled. For all the reasons you cite yourself.
    For me, the most galling thing about the abuse of the system is that it penalises most the genuine cases who would, were it not for the actions of the abusers, be entitled to even more help than they currently get.

Leave a comment:

• SizeZero
    replied

Surely incapacity benefits and job seekers etc are all means tested. So if you're earning Lockhouse then how come the wife gets benefits?? Or us this another benefit i've missed!
    If this lady has been independently earning, and paying tax, for 10, 20, 30 years, and then suffers an illness like the BigC or MS, or a serious injury (like my other half did in an RTA) - which could happen to anyone at anytime! - why the hell should she be means tested in her hour of need?

She is far more worthy than many fraudsters out there. I'm sure you weren't intending to call Mrs L that? As a society we need to protect our genuinely vulnerable members, while shaming the abusers only.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    The only benefit you've missed out is benefit of doubt
    Whereas you have missed out on the benefit of being in the remotest way interesting.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Or us this another benefit i've missed!
    The only benefit you've missed out is benefit of doubt

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    My wife's on "incapacity benefit" and is genuinely unable to work. However she is really worried that she will fail the new tests as they are so stringent. I appreciate there are a lot of people out there who are pulling a fast one, but there are also some people who genuinely have a right to claim. Believe me, we'd both much rather she was fit and able to work.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    My wife's on "incapacity benefit" and is genuinely unable to work. However she is really worried that she will fail the new tests as they are so stringent. I appreciate there are a lot of people out there who are pulling a fast one, but there are also some people who genuinely have a right to claim. Believe me, we'd both much rather she was fit and able to work.
    Indeed, and this is always the danger when a government goes on a big drive to reduce sickness payments. Something similar happened in Holland a few years back, with consequences for people who are genuinely incapacitated; it's in the nature of a big administrative operation that mistakes will be made, people may not be given the attention they need, and some of those doing the checking might become cynical and unsympathetic. I wish you the best of luck, but I'd also say that this situation is the consequence of many years of abuse in the system and the circumstance that the current government is forced to dramatically cut spending. That's why this should never have been allowed to get out of hand, and it's why the people to blame are those who abused the system and those who stood by and allowed the abuse for so long.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    What is her incapacity?

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I usually put whatever I was going to buy down, loudly, and walk out of the shop.
    I sometimes throw this little hissy fit too It's usually to no avail tho as the till muppets are hardly going to care about lost business.

I do think there should be bug signs near all the self service tills you get in supermarkets now that say something along the lines of 'You must have an IQ of over 100 to use these tills'

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    It is annoying when you want to pay or be served in a shop and the people serving are chatting. While I wait, I often dream up a little task for them to do or something to find. Oh, wrong thread.
    I usually put whatever I was going to buy down, loudly, and walk out of the shop.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    It is annoying when you want to pay or be served in a shop and the people serving are chatting. While I wait, I often dream up a little task for them to do or something to find. Oh, wrong thread.
    Oh too late, I've seen this.

I used to just mutter and grumble if a shop assistant was too busy to CHATTING to DO HER JOB and SERVE ME.

Where possible these days, I just dump whatever crap it is I was buying but didn't need, and walk out.

Leave a comment:

• Boudica
    replied
    There's a big thread running that's full of gripes like these. I was just making a little jokey reference to it.
    haha

Leave a comment:

Working...
X