• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Open letter to motorists

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    The act of being amongst other drivers is obviously causing you problems so I suggest that working from home will be best for you. At least it will be one less dick-head on the road who assumes that he can give the rest of us a lesson.
    You're saying that moving into an empty lane rather than ramming into the queue slowing down the entire road is wrong? You really are the biggest tosser on CUK, I really hope you try to barge past some innocent motorist and clip their car, spinning into a tree. It couldn't happen to a better person. I bet you're the kind of driver how thinks they're in the top 10% of good drivers while swearing at other drivers.
    Last edited by d000hg; 26 July 2010, 08:03.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      There is of course a knack of motor way driving in heavy traffic, especially when the road keep concerteening (sic)

Move to the left lane as you approach the off of a junction. This becomes free as cars
      leave, then move middle to outside as cars coming on will cause it to slow.
      That doesn't work in my experience. As you come up to the exit, the left lane gets slow as people all pile in to get off the road after trying to overtake as many cars as possible, or there are just slow-moving cars in that lane to start with.
      As oncoming traffic joins, everyone jumps to the right lane to avoid them, and a few of the oncoming cars charge into the right as well because they're obviously in a car that should be overtaking (Audi drivers mainly). Net result is now that lane slows up.

Your tactics seem to be exactly what the herd does, I used to play switching lanes but on balance it doesn't really seem to gain anything other than getting you worn out.

Besides this thread is about when one lane is full and the other empty
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

One thing I've learnt is to get a feel for when the motorway reaches the tipping point in terms of volume of traffic.
        As lane 3 starts to slow down to under 70 mph, it makes sense to move to lane 1 whilst its still moving slower and there are some nice big gaps.
        Tuck in behind a truck, wait a mile or two and you'll soon be whizzing past all the other traffic as lane 3 grinds to a halt.
        The real knack is to do it BEFORE the traffic slows down otherwise plod can pull you for undertaking. Do it in advance and you're mearly staying in your lane and keeping pace, as you should do when the traffic is heavy.

Lane use and discipline of in this country is appalling. At a rough estimate at least 75% of drivers will pull into lane 2 at the first opportunity and never go back into lane 1 untill they have to leave the motorway.
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          You're saying that moving into an empty lane rather than ramming into the queue slowing down the entire road is wrong? You really are the biggest tosser on CUK, I really hope you try to barge past some innocent motorist and clip their car, spinning into a tree. It couldn't happen to a better person. I bet you're the kind of driver how thinks they're in the top 10% of good drivers while swearing at other drivers.
          Wow, that was a bit of a rant wasn't it?

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Yeah the moment anyone seems you come past on the 'wrong' side you can see them close any gap to stop you 'cheating'. I do the same thing myself Although I try to only do it to blatant cheeky sods zooming up rather than sensible folk legitimately going faster in the other lane, it's hard not to play the game of blocking people getting in front.
          What's wrong with letting traffic merge as you're supposed to?

What qualifies you to instruct others on how they should drive?
          Last edited by SupremeSpod; 26 July 2010, 09:22.

Comment

Working...
          X