• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PC World rip off merchants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW
    Simple question is this - is IT retail on high-street/out-of-town competitive? The answer is clear no - there is nobody apart from Dixons who sells the stuff, and this makes them de facto monopolies. High price differential only supports this assertion.

Consumers benefit from lack of monopolies - if BT had its way there would be no broadband in this country as near as much as it is present now, I remember clearly how BT execs wanted to charge more money for overseas traffic, this sort of backwards crap is actually happening in some 3rd world countries, but luckily Govt made sure BT won't take the piss.
    Dixons is only a monopoly if you cant be arsed to use the net or travel somewhere else to buy the product. If you are arguing that dixons is a monopoly then so is my local Co-op. My Co-op is the only food store on the street in walking distance from my house, it is therefore a monopoly and some awfully nice efficient man from the DTi should come along and break it up into smaller stores. The problem with that of course is that there will be three shops occupying more space selling all the same things, thus pushing up the prices.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
      What's worse Dixons exploit their monopolistic position with suppliers other places - places where _I_ buy.

Yep, I hear panasonic, samsung, sony,JVC, apple, IBM, HP are all on their last legs, about to be put out of business by that awful John Clare and his tiny upstart business.

You do talk bollocks AtW
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by AtW

Of course one has to be non-retarted in order to understand economics involved in this matter - so do yourself a favour Fungus/bogey, just feck off if you can't present a good arguement.
        Your debating skills are appalling. How did you understand economics? Reading the "Capital" of Marx?
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
          Dixons is only a monopoly if you cant be arsed to use the net or travel somewhere else to buy the product. If you are arguing that dixons is a monopoly then so is my local Co-op.
          And Co-op is certainly a local monopoly - this is their strategy - be the only shop on local high-street, their prices are higher than you can get elsewhere and this traps people who can't get to out-of-town supermarket - old folk pensioners.

Co-op is bad, but not as bad as Dixons- plenty of shops sell groceries, but this is not the case for Dixon's IT stuff - only Dixons and PC World who they own sell the gears on high-street.

Now look Dodgy, I know for fact that Dixons get super-deals from manufacturers - they twise their hands like there is no tomorrow, do you understand what it takes to get manufacturer setup new SKU for the same product just for Dixons? It takes monopolistic power!

It hits you and me even though we don't buy in those shops - manufacturers have to charge higher prices from other than-Dixons supplier to recoup discounts they had to give to Dixons.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
            And Co-op is certainly a local monopoly - this is their strategy - be the only shop on local high-street, their prices are higher than you can get elsewhere and this traps people who can't get to out-of-town supermarket - old folk pensioners.

Co-op is bad, but not as bad as Dixons- plenty of shops sell groceries, but this is not the case for Dixon's IT stuff - only Dixons and PC World who they own sell the gears on high-street.

Now look Dodgy, I know for fact that Dixons get super-deals from manufacturers - they twise their hands like there is no tomorrow, do you understand what it takes to get manufacturer setup new SKU for the same product just for Dixons? It takes monopolistic power!

It hits you and me even though we don't buy in those shops - manufacturers have to charge higher prices from other than-Dixons supplier to recoup discounts they had to give to Dixons.
            Why? Do you think Tesco or Sainsbury behave much differently? Shall we ban all big industries and just have local corner shops?
            I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
              Your debating skills are appalling. How did you understand economics? Reading the "Capital" of Marx?
              From what I've heard Marx was a lazy good for nothing scrounger who couldn't stand on his own two feet and had little or no real world experience. Figures.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW

Yes I understand, I used to be a product marketing manager of TVs and videos there. Screwing suppliers is very much part of the culture of all retailers. I just dont think it is for you to pass judgements on relationships between buyer and seller. after all the likes of HP, Sony, Samsung are far bigger companies than Dixons, so they have the option to exercise their choice as to whether or not to sell their products. So butt out, because this is how a free market wealth creating capitalist market works best. And you may also be surprised to hear that although they may grumble occasionally the sellers to dixons are always happy with their deals.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
                  Why? Do you think Tesco or Sainsbury behave much differently?
                  You said it - there is Tesco, Sainsbury, ASDA and Morrisons - note they are all pretty big, there is no ONE OF THEM who does it. This is not the case for Dixons - its only Dixons who have such monopoly on IT gears on high-street.

This is why IT manufacturers may have special SKU just for Dixons and everything else for everyone else, there is nobody else like Dixons - that's why they are a monopoly.

Comment

Is there anything (except for strange searching and indexing sites knocked together in a garage that are not even a patch on Google ) that you don't think is a monopoly.

Originally posted by Fungus
                    ATW: Jesus wept. If you like PC World, buy from them. Otherwise don't. Easy. Next.
                    Oh and secondly Next sell clothes not PCs (Joke)

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                      I just dont think it is for you to pass judgements on relationships between buyer and seller.
                      Why not? I am the consumer who ultimately pays money, there are laws designed to protect me from unfair competition and anti-monopolistic laws form essential part of that.

Comment

Working...
                      X