• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PC World rip off merchants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OrangeHopper
    Is bogeyman getting at me now?

Did I say I was buying things from PC World?
    No my dear two-horned, rubbery orange friend. I was just wondering why so many self-professed 'professionals' (not you in particular) buy stuff off the high street.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
      I'm not surprised, since you've been using PC World instead.
      I have not - they did not stock the item I wanted so I found small shop elsewhere, most people would never walk into it and have to buy stuff in PC World -- big discrepancy in prices for the same goods is a very good indication of a monopoly, because in any competitive market prices tend to be more or less the same - say online you will see that there is a huge competition for computer parts - prices are not that different. They are mainly different at PC World since they can't politically cut prices on their site as shop managers would complain - when I worked for an IT retailer it was just the situation we faced.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
        when I worked for an IT retailer it was just the situation we faced.
        You've worked in a shop then, boyo?

You have gone up hugely in my estimation. A quarter of Nuttal's Mintos - in a PAPER bag, please.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

bogeyman - why won't you feck off and try to do something useful in your bum like life?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
            I have not - they did not stock the item I wanted so I found small shop elsewhere, most people would never walk into it and have to buy stuff in PC World -- big discrepancy in prices for the same goods is a very good indication of a monopoly, because in any competitive market prices tend to be more or less the same - say online you will see that there is a huge competition for computer parts - prices are not that different. They are mainly different at PC World since they can't politically cut prices on their site as shop managers would complain - when I worked for an IT retailer it was just the situation we faced.
            So what you are saying is that people are too stupid to consider buying from someone other trhan PC world? And you think that the govt knows better ??? Isnt that what happened in Russia.

BTW I buy all my computer stuff (or used to) from PCworld cos I am a non techie idiot who likes to browse around a smart shop irrespective of what the prices are. With your system I would have to browse through a cold poorly stocked shop in a run down part of the city. No thanks AtW, tell you what I and my fellow PCworld shoppers will continue to buy from where we want, and we wont in return tell you where or where not to shop. In other words f*** off and mind your own business.

DA in "John Clare" mode
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
              It was distress purchase - .
              I'll say it was, particularly for the staff at PCworld
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                bogeyman - why won't you feck off and try to do something useful in your bum like life?
                "My Bum Like Life"

Yes, there you have it - youu little genius you! I could almost kiss you!!

Here I've been, sitting in my hovel in the rain in Abergavenny, wracking my brains to think of a title for my autobiography (advance $2m from Secker & Warburg - and all spent down the Drovers Arms - tut!)

You're a genius!

Must get the manuscript out now - and light the candle!

Thanks again!

Bogey

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                  With your system I would have to browse through a cold poorly stocked shop in a run down part of the city.
                  No.

PC World is part of Dixons who also control Dixons computer shops on high-street - breakup won't help here since PC World fits out-of-town market, so price controls are necessary until there is a viable competitor present in this market.

Comment

I was building a system in the UK last year and someone forgot to order some SLT tapes. Over the road was a PC World so I popped over, found a young assistant and it went like this:

DA: " Do you sell SDLT tapes?"
                    PC: "Eh!"
                    DA: "SDLT tapes for computers. To make backups on."
                    PC: "Sorry, don't understand you."
                    DA: "A bit like DAT tapes but bigger and hold more data. You have a tape drive on the PC, put a tape in and backup your data to tape. Do you sell tapes for computer systems?"
                    PC: "Do you mean cassettes? They're over there."
                    DA: "Diptulip."

Went to another one a few weeks later when I had to give a training course and someone had forgotten his power supply for his Thinkpad.

PC: "Don't do IBM or power supplies. Try Maplins for something like that."

Went to Maplins who do universal power supplies but suggested not using them just in case (this was a US model from Israel.) Got one down the Tottingham Court Rahd for next to nuffing.
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                      so price controls are necessary until there is a viable competitor present in this market.
                      There were. They just went bankrupt because they tried to compete at cheap prices. You have plenty of competitors on-line and there is no bareer to enter the market, you can do it yourself tomorrow if you want. But you have to practice the same prices as them with fewer smiley youngsters so you will fail too. So, what's your point (if you ever had one)? That the government should push the only organisation who managed to remain profitable in the market out of business?
                      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Working...
                      X