• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cameron scores on PMQs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm seriously hoping that Cameron's lefty attitude is just an act. There's no point having a Tory government that:

(1) doesn't reduce the size of the state
    (2) lower taxes
    (3) cut red tape for business
    (4) aim for excellence rather than the lowest common denominator in education.

If Cameron just goes for tinkering around the edges:

we're all doomed, I tell yer.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
      There's no point having a Tory government that
      Their current (and I'd say correct) point is that all things equal they will spend less money and taxes with be smaller - they can't for political reasons to avoid making some commitments like free* NHS, and the choice is really this - either them or current Govt which will spend more and have higher taxes. IMO Tories should be more radical with tax cuts, but they either don't know current finances or more precisely don't know exactly what they will inherit from Brown.

* Free NHS is a joke - it seems that a LOT of things have to be paid for.

Comment

I'm seriously hoping that Cameron's lefty attitude is just an act. There's no point having a Tory government that:

(2) lower taxes

I agree with you sas, so I hope that doesn't wreck your credibility. I assume Cameron is playing the long game, starting off by softening up the electorate and overcoming that "nasty tories, don't touch with a barge pole" attitude.

Comment

(2) lower taxes

It is probably tactical saying that they are not prepared to lower taxes yet and opt for economic stability for two reasons: (1) they can highlight brown's fuckup of the economy and (2) stops the opposition saying "same old Tories reducing public services". As a Conservative, taxes and state intervention will come down.

However I agree it does dilute the traditionally obvious differences between the 2 parties but what would you do? Announce all your policies up front to then see liebour adapt these as their own? Tricky one.
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

* Free NHS is a joke - it seems that a LOT of things have to be paid for.
            Indeed they do Alexei.

Take today's farce from a District Nurse's office.

An elderly, dying patient needed a bad pan for home use.

The Nurse's were in a flap because they needed to order one specially from the PCT. They spoke to the PCT, who said "the cost of a bedpan is not a financial option for the Trust at this time,and besides, resuable stainless bedpans pose a risk of MRSA if not sterilised properly. Therefore, sorry you can't have one."

Meanwhile, there is me sitting opposite, installing a brand new PC and flat screen from the PCT.

My cost....£550 for the PC and my time.

The bedpan ? £6

Go figure.....

I bet the dying elderly man is happy in the knowledge that even though he lies in his pi55-stained bed, at least the Nurses have a nice shiny new PC.

Were the Nurse's upset ? Of course, they were spitting blood. Could they do anything ? Nothing, except shake their heads and look sad.

Here's the kicker.....one day that man may be one of us....
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

If I was a nurse in this situation I'd pay £6 or organised collection, then buy bedpans (whatever it is) and then go to local BBC station or just send letter to Tory party with receipt and story - given current political interest in NHS they could have moved some stones this way.

Comment

AtW: No, nothing, except shake their heads and look sad, and then go to the canteen and discuss how to massage the roster so they could get some agency work in.

So many people fall for that 'looking sad' thing medical people do.

Chumps.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                  If I was a nurse in this situation I'd pay £6 or organised collection, then buy bedpans (whatever it is) and then go to local BBC station or just send letter to Tory party with receipt and story - given current political interest in NHS they could have moved some stones this way.
                  You don't know the NHS. Staff are overworked and a lot of them are low grade agency staff. Many are from overseas and without them the NHS would collapse. My late mother was in hospital. She was severely disabled due to a spinal injury. A nurse asked her to roll over and got angry when she said she couldn't. But she couldn't. There were no staff trained with dealing with someone with a severe spinal injury. On another occasion she wet herself. She was palysed from the waste down, and had little sensation, so did not realise. Anyone with compassion would clean the patient knowing they were feeling humilated. But no, the nurse shouted at my mother for making her more work. Someone was visiting mum at the time which is how I know. And when I first visited her, she was in such as state - lying in bed doubled up in pain, and crying - that I suffered what I assume was shock, and had difficulty breathing and seeing for about 5 minutes. A nurse was concerned about my condition!!!! The other patients said that the staff had ignored her. Oh, and when I first arrived in the hospital, I had not a clue where to go, so approched an office and asked for assistance. An Italian nurse gave me a look that said "piss off" and her manner suggested "go away". Shocking. And as for the toilets - absolutely disgusting and a health hazard. The NHS is in serious trouble.

So after a while even the caring develop a skin that isolates them. Sure there are some really good nurses, but it's all about fire fighting.

Have I told you about acquaintances who would be dead/disabled had they not gone private?

Fungus, not just any old mould, but a mould among moulds.

Comment

Working...
                  X