• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cameron scores on PMQs"

Collapse

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    If I was a nurse in this situation I'd pay £6 or organised collection, then buy bedpans (whatever it is) and then go to local BBC station or just send letter to Tory party with receipt and story - given current political interest in NHS they could have moved some stones this way.
    You don't know the NHS. Staff are overworked and a lot of them are low grade agency staff. Many are from overseas and without them the NHS would collapse. My late mother was in hospital. She was severely disabled due to a spinal injury. A nurse asked her to roll over and got angry when she said she couldn't. But she couldn't. There were no staff trained with dealing with someone with a severe spinal injury. On another occasion she wet herself. She was palysed from the waste down, and had little sensation, so did not realise. Anyone with compassion would clean the patient knowing they were feeling humilated. But no, the nurse shouted at my mother for making her more work. Someone was visiting mum at the time which is how I know. And when I first visited her, she was in such as state - lying in bed doubled up in pain, and crying - that I suffered what I assume was shock, and had difficulty breathing and seeing for about 5 minutes. A nurse was concerned about my condition!!!! The other patients said that the staff had ignored her. Oh, and when I first arrived in the hospital, I had not a clue where to go, so approched an office and asked for assistance. An Italian nurse gave me a look that said "piss off" and her manner suggested "go away". Shocking. And as for the toilets - absolutely disgusting and a health hazard. The NHS is in serious trouble.

So after a while even the caring develop a skin that isolates them. Sure there are some really good nurses, but it's all about fire fighting.

Have I told you about acquaintances who would be dead/disabled had they not gone private?

Fungus, not just any old mould, but a mould among moulds.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    AtW: No, nothing, except shake their heads and look sad, and then go to the canteen and discuss how to massage the roster so they could get some agency work in.

So many people fall for that 'looking sad' thing medical people do.

Chumps.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    If I was a nurse in this situation I'd pay £6 or organised collection, then buy bedpans (whatever it is) and then go to local BBC station or just send letter to Tory party with receipt and story - given current political interest in NHS they could have moved some stones this way.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    * Free NHS is a joke - it seems that a LOT of things have to be paid for.
    Indeed they do Alexei.

Take today's farce from a District Nurse's office.

An elderly, dying patient needed a bad pan for home use.

The Nurse's were in a flap because they needed to order one specially from the PCT. They spoke to the PCT, who said "the cost of a bedpan is not a financial option for the Trust at this time,and besides, resuable stainless bedpans pose a risk of MRSA if not sterilised properly. Therefore, sorry you can't have one."

Meanwhile, there is me sitting opposite, installing a brand new PC and flat screen from the PCT.

My cost....£550 for the PC and my time.

The bedpan ? £6

Go figure.....

I bet the dying elderly man is happy in the knowledge that even though he lies in his pi55-stained bed, at least the Nurses have a nice shiny new PC.

Were the Nurse's upset ? Of course, they were spitting blood. Could they do anything ? Nothing, except shake their heads and look sad.

Here's the kicker.....one day that man may be one of us....

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    I'm seriously hoping that Cameron's lefty attitude is just an act. There's no point having a Tory government that:

(1) doesn't reduce the size of the state
    (2) lower taxes
    (3) cut red tape for business
    (4) aim for excellence rather than the lowest common denominator in education.

If Cameron just goes for tinkering around the edges:

we're all doomed, I tell yer.
    It is probably tactical saying that they are not prepared to lower taxes yet and opt for economic stability for two reasons: (1) they can highlight brown's fuckup of the economy and (2) stops the opposition saying "same old Tories reducing public services". As a Conservative, taxes and state intervention will come down.

However I agree it does dilute the traditionally obvious differences between the 2 parties but what would you do? Announce all your policies up front to then see liebour adapt these as their own? Tricky one.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    I'm seriously hoping that Cameron's lefty attitude is just an act. There's no point having a Tory government that:

(2) lower taxes

I agree with you sas, so I hope that doesn't wreck your credibility. I assume Cameron is playing the long game, starting off by softening up the electorate and overcoming that "nasty tories, don't touch with a barge pole" attitude.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    There's no point having a Tory government that
    Their current (and I'd say correct) point is that all things equal they will spend less money and taxes with be smaller - they can't for political reasons to avoid making some commitments like free* NHS, and the choice is really this - either them or current Govt which will spend more and have higher taxes. IMO Tories should be more radical with tax cuts, but they either don't know current finances or more precisely don't know exactly what they will inherit from Brown.

* Free NHS is a joke - it seems that a LOT of things have to be paid for.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied

(2) lower taxes

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD
    I think if he sprinkles a little bit here and there then it should liven things up a little. Mind you, slagging off the opposition in PMQs does not win elections as Howard and Hague found out
    Howard and Hague (as well as IDS who did not get a chance) failed for far more fundamental reasons than their performance in the House, however it is clear that good performance there is much better than bad one like new Lib Dems acting leader had the other week.

I've been reading PMQs for some time and noticed that Blair tends to "answer" questions in a way that would basically say - your party or even you (the opponent) voted for this while you were in power, so its your fault. This can't work with Cameron since he has got his hands pretty clean, this is a big neutralising point that seems to rattle Blair a bit.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenophon
    The grass is not always greener as ALL governments are lying c0cksuckers.
    Yes, instead of mentioning Cameron, I should have just said that Blair let one in, which is more to the point than whoever "scored".
    Originally posted by mailman
    Why cant the opposition concentrate on actually offering something constructive instead of trying to score political points at every chance they get?
    Eh? Every chance they get? This is the first time the new Tory boy has done it. Everybody knows that he is offering very constructive support for Tony Blair's proposed reforms.

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    Well, DC and TB have to wear ties of different colours because noone can tell the difference between their policies...

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Do you guys like Blair or something?
    No! LOL!

Cameron did get Mr Punch out today: I guess the team were getting a little too bored with the sensible questions.

I think if he sprinkles a little bit here and there then it should liven things up a little. Mind you, slagging off the opposition in PMQs does not win elections as Howard and Hague found out, hence Cameron's initial announcement of no more P&J politics.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Do you guys like Blair or something?

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    There's no more "Punch and Judy" politics with Cameron. Remember, he said that last year, so it must be true.

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Why cant the opposition concentrate on actually offering something constructive instead of trying to score political points at every chance they get?

Mailman

Leave a comment:

Working...
X