• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flying Etiquette

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    I have been on 2 European flights in the last month of so, under 1 1/2hrs duration each time.

On a least one journey each the passenger in front has decided to tilt their seat back crushing my legs in the process.

Now I know I cannot stop them doing this, other than giving them the knees in the back of the seat treatment, but why do they do this - why do they not have any consideration for the people behind them ?

I would never do this. So rude it makes me mad
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Some time back I was reading an article about how society today is so governed by warnings and advice, that to some people unless they get a specific warning / instruction, they don't realise that they have broken some kind of societal taboo.

Because there is nothing that explicitly says not to put your chair back, many people think nothing of the inconvenience that it causes others. I would put it back on a longer flight, or if there was space without it impacting anyone else, but not on short haul or if cramped.

All you can do in this situation is repeatedly kick the back of their chair, and slam your tray table up and down.
    Faqqer, I think you're wrong. It's simply the fact that society today(as a whole) has no consideration for other people. That and the fact that the damn airlines are squeezing as many seats as possible into a small space.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      Cause they're too important to wait 10 minutes at the other side.
      I try and carry luggage and had baggage where possible because of the poor handling at airports. Even though I have a strong case; the contents are often damaged. At the airports I have seen cases unload by being dropped three meters onto concrete.

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Fly Business Class you peasant! If you don't like your seat UPGRADE! Thats what being a contractor is all about.

Now where the hell is my complimentary bubbly!!!
      Like the trains, on many aircraft particularly on short hops, there is no difference on the actual seats. A curtain is sledged along to make off first class. The only difference being the service.

In the good old days flying was convenient and I used to turn up 15 minutes before and get en-board. Nowadays, I avoid the hassle and houses wasted of commercial flying where possible even if it means driving overnight in Europe to get to my destination.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
        I have been on 2 European flights in the last month of so, under 1 1/2hrs duration each time.

On a least one journey each the passenger in front has decided to tilt their seat back crushing my legs in the process.

Now I know I cannot stop them doing this, other than giving them the knees in the back of the seat treatment, but why do they do this - why do they not have any consideration for the people behind them ?

I would never do this. So rude it makes me mad
        FFS!! Either go on a diet or upgrade you muppet. The seats are designed to go back. Try reading the card in the seat pocket. All manner of events can occur, the doors can even be opened in an emergency.
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          FFS!! Either go on a diet or upgrade you muppet. The seats are designed to go back. Try reading the card in the seat pocket. All manner of events can occur, the doors can even be opened in an emergency.
          Do you still spend most of the flight near the toilets in the "brace position" hoping to get lucky?

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
            Faqqer, I think you're wrong. It's simply the fact that society today(as a whole) has no consideration for other people. That and the fact that the damn airlines are squeezing as many seats as possible into a small space.
            Airlines look pretty considerate next to customs/airline workers though IMO, who seem to have become nazies on power trips and treat customers as cattle. I once inadvertently showed my boarding pass to someone or other at a gate and all 5 foot of her screamed back "PASSPORT!" + ugly face. Fortunately she was unarmed. It probably makes their day to have an opportunity to vent like that. Terrorist 1, Nazies 2, customers 0.

Comment

Originally posted by SofaKingdom View Post
              Do you still spend most of the flight near the toilets in the "brace position" hoping to get lucky?
              Still regaling us with your "cottaging" strategies. Don't you ever tire of being the "Only Gay on the Forum"??

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

The seat cards states that you shoud check behind you before reclining your seat!
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  The seat cards states that you shoud check behind you before reclining your seat!
                  Check behind you for what though? "Oh Fook me.............there's another passenger behind me.......never thought I'd see the day!! Best not recline the seat then!"
                  So you check behind you.............THEN recline your seat. Job done.

HTH

Comment

Check behind you for what though? "Oh Fook me.............there's another passenger behind me.......never thought I'd see the day!! Best not recline the seat then!"
                    So you check behind you.............THEN recline your seat. Job done.

HTH
                    The seat cards states that you should check behind you before reclining your seat!

1. The food tray should stay horizontal, but they are not perfect and in any event a sudden movement could knock over a hot drink.
                    2. Some seats are counter levered and can drag along baggage under the seat.
                    3. The passenger behind could be carrying and infant on his/her lap as per IATA regs

The fact that this needs to be spelt out just shows what f-wits there are around.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                      It is the sense of entitlement that winds me up. This seat can recline, so I am going to use it. **** anyone else.

On a long flight it is understandable that people want to sleep, and that is the price you pay for flying economy.

But on short flights there is no need for it.They are just being assholes. On one flight I took from Rome to London the seat in front of me was empty. After takeoff, someone got out of their own seat, moved in to the one in front of me, and then reclined it.

On a positive note, I believe that Cathay Pacific have solved this issue so hopefully other airlines will follow.

Comment

Working...
                      X