• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it the done thing.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as a contractor you should let these things wash over you. a key skill is the ability to get on with whoever you find yourself working with and for. you get in, get it done and move on. if the "get it done" bit takes longer (for whatever reason) then that is usually a good thing. if staying on is not a good thing (for whatever reason) then excercise your right to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
      Sounds like she's nervous and perhaps a little too self-deprecating.

There are (at least)a couple of ways forward. You can be helpful and probably have praise in the form of extensions heaped upon you or become an obstacle and expect to be removed.

Kicking her in the "fadge" <--- how quaint; is not an option unless you're a soft twat who gets off on hitting girls.

Hth.

Spod - In "just received another extension" mode.

WHS

This Forum really has started attracting some bedwetters. Can't believe a professional contractor can get so worked up about a manager. Obviously never been on Gibbons 'Managing your Manager' course.

Saying the the Deadline isn't probably achieveable isn't same as it isn't achieveable so any good manager will ignore it as you making it up to be used as an excuse in case you're too tulip to deliver. If it really isn't achieveable then work out what would make achieveable or reduced functionality etc, your managers ears will ***** up at that.

Micro email management - easy, turn it off for two hours at a time and only turn it on when you get a coffee etc. If she questions you on this say that email isn't an instant form of communication and that it distracts you from concentrating on delivering. If she needs to speak to you urgently there is a phone or she can walk over. If she disputes this just, quote some 6 sigma tulip.

Gibbon in 'Never been out of work and got work until the end of next year' mode.

HTH BIDI with someone who can contemplate kicking a woman in the fadge, the only thing that belongs there is sitting firmly on your shoulders for all to see.
      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
        as a contractor you should let these things wash over you. a key skill is the ability to get on with whoever you find yourself working with and for. you get in, get it done and move on. if the "get it done" bit takes longer (for whatever reason) then that is usually a good thing. if staying on is not a good thing (for whatever reason) then excercise your right to move on.
        That's quite easy to say, of course you've got be able to deal with people, but there are places that are different to your experiences and would be prove challenging. 'Moving on' right away is not always possible for the usual reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
          WHS

This Forum really has started attracting some bedwetters. Can't believe a professional contractor can get so worked up about a manager. Obviously never been on Gibbons 'Managing your Manager' course.

Saying the the Deadline isn't probably achieveable isn't same as it isn't achieveable so any good manager will ignore it as you making it up to be used as an excuse in case you're too tulip to deliver. If it really isn't achieveable then work out what would make achieveable or reduced functionality etc, your managers ears will ***** up at that.

Micro email management - easy, turn it off for two hours at a time and only turn it on when you get a coffee etc. If she questions you on this say that email isn't an instant form of communication and that it distracts you from concentrating on delivering. If she needs to speak to you urgently there is a phone or she can walk over. If she disputes this just, quote some 6 sigma tulip.

Gibbon in 'Never been out of work and got work until the end of next year' mode.

HTH BIDI with someone who can contemplate kicking a woman in the fadge, the only thing that belongs there is sitting firmly on your shoulders for all to see.
          Ok, so I'm a fadge, but you are most definitely are a bit of a cock. I'm not really going to kick someone in the gusset just cos they are bad at being a PM. I believe I posted this is the correct area where stupidity reigns so you should have twigged it was only in jest.

Sure she's a crap PM and sure I'll see it through to the end. Doesn't stop me venting a bit of steam tho' surely.

Comment

Dunno about all that, but people say 'vadge' round here, rather than 'fadge'. Interesting.
            Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
            +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by bellymonster View Post
              Ok, so I'm a fadge, but you are most definitely are a bit of a cock. I'm not really going to kick someone in the gusset just cos they are bad at being a PM. I believe I posted this is the correct area where stupidity reigns so you should have twigged it was only in jest.

Sure she's a crap PM and sure I'll see it through to the end. Doesn't stop me venting a bit of steam tho' surely.
              How very dare you, I've been carefully building my reputation up to be within a hairs width of being a complete cock and you've just knocked me right back down. Now I know how Sisyphus felt, oh well here I go again.
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

How very dare you, I've been carefully building my reputation up to be within a hairs width of being a complete cock and you've just knocked me right back down. Now I know how Sisyphus felt, oh well here I go again.
                You can be a total cock if you like, I'll request the necessary upgrade right away

Comment

Kind of wet and warm?

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                    Dunno about all that, but people say 'vadge' round here, rather than 'fadge'. Interesting.
                    You say Vadge, and I say Fadge
                    Vadge... Fadge... Vadge... Fadge
                    Let's call the whole thing off.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                      Kind of wet and warm?
                      Wouldn't know, but hey if you've had experience let us all know

Comment

Working...
                      X