• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do I, or don't I

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swamp View Post
    We've been told to get in early. We've got a nice screen to watch it on. Beers open at 3pm.
    Drinking with the client leads to ends of contracts, in my experience.

Spending time with the client when they aren't paying me is a no-no.

And as for being "told to get in early" - too much D&C for me. I'd be late just for the hell of it - "I don't work for you, just be grateful that I turn up each day to clear out the tulip that you find yourselves in" is my (somewhat long-winded) motto.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
      We've been told to get in early. We've got a nice screen to watch it on. Beers open at 3pm.
      Oh dear. I think you'll find it's a project planning meeting. <nudge, nudge etc.>
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        Laving site at 12:00
        Home 12:20
        Showered by 12:30
        In pub by 12:45
        Shout/cheer/cry
        Go home 20:00-21:00
        Um, what do you do that a morning's work requires a shower to be in a fit state for an afternoon's drinking?!

I assume clientCo will down tools at 2.30, it's a small company and the owners are pretty laid back so I shall work through, eat lunch while watching with them, and hopefully still bill almost a full day if I can get in for 8am.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Like your style. See you at 2. Don't forget the baby oil and the Guinea pig
          I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Um, what do you do that a morning's work requires a shower to be in a fit state for an afternoon's drinking?!
            I like to shower before going out on social ocasions even if I've only had one 5 hours earlier, it only takes 5 minutes FFS.

It's bit muggy out there today, I predict the pub will be full of stinkers.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Drinking with the client leads to ends of contracts, in my experience.

Spending time with the client when they aren't paying me is a no-no.
              I can't think of a contract I've had where going to the pub wasn't considered part of the engagement. On my first contract, the first thing my boss* ever said to me was "are you coming to the pub?" and when I made my excuses he replied with "that won't do, you're coming to the pub!"

* this was pre IR35, when it was considered normal to refer to the client manager who hired you as "the boss"
              Last edited by doodab; 23 June 2010, 08:21.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Ah excellent! Everyone will be watching the football so the roads will be empty. I think I might take the roof off the Trevor and drive like I'm starring in 28 Days Later.
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

I like to shower before going out on social ocasions even if I've only had one 5 hours earlier, it only takes 5 minutes FFS.

It's bit muggy out there today, I predict the pub will be full of stinkers.
                  All the more reason not to bother with a shower - That way you won't smell them so much
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                  X