• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Skills for financial IT jobs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Really most of the systems I have worked on, and currently work on, are a total shambles and nobody ever knows how they are meant to work.
    The guy that wrote it 3-10 years ago probably knew what it was supposed to do. The fact he moved on 3 years ago doesn't help...
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      The guy that wrote it 3-10 years ago probably knew what it was supposed to do. The fact he moved on 3 years ago doesn't help...
      That is it really.

I am always of the belief that a system should have a master document, so when a change gets made you reflect that change in that document. What always happens is a change gets documented in a change specification document so if you want to learn what the system is doing you are expected to read hundreds of change specs (if you can find them). Still do not know how these places do these things so badly.

Cash from chaos I suppose, get the invoices in and dance to the music they play.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Clearly not in any any position that requires analytical or intelligent skills or the evaluation of evidence.
        Are you a janitor?
        Or market predictions?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Dodgy code in IBs

I worked on some stuff once and it went into production. It was generating a risk position that they were trading off. Due to some dodgy threading code, very occasionally the wrong figure was coming out. I remember I was in a development meeting when a trader, an accountant and my boss came looking for me. They told me $250M has disappeared from the position and they were trading off the wrong position. I had to leave the meeting and fix the code in Vi while they were looking over my shoulder. I fixed it and it went straight into production. About half an hour later they came back, the position was off again. I fixed it again and that was the last I heard about it. That was a stressful day. Thankfully my practices have improved since then.

Comment

Originally posted by markinbrussels View Post
            Is VBA needed?
            FTFY

Yes very useful, along with Java and C#
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              Really most of the systems I have worked on, and currently work on, are a total shambles and nobody ever knows how they are meant to work.
              Sorry
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                I'm in Finance and I was thinking about just the same in the opposite direction!!

Some jobs are just technical so as long as you have hot programming skill, that's all that's required.

I'm curious now. Why do you want to move to Telecom?

Does anything of these sound sexy to you? IPv6, SIP, IGMP, UPNP, VPN, etc?

Do you enjoy reading the Telecom Journal?

OK, working for Apple or Samsung could be cool, but I find telecom to be boring as hell!!

OTOH, bonds, futures, warrants, etc... all that sh1t sounds pretty exciting. Plus you know
                that you're working for the dark side. Only downside: you have to wear suit and tie and
                apply some gel on your hair.

Comment

Working...
                X