• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Benefits Of Long Contract Vs Short Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As the others have said, forget the length of the notice period, it will not apply.

Most contracts say that if there is no work to do then you cannot charge your client (this is actually a good thing).

I have also heard of contractors being walked off site due to fabricated sexual harassment allegations and also racial hatred allegations (although those were real by the sounds of it).

Basically, don't think that the notice period will apply for one minute and make your decision accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedAussie View Post
      As a newbie and not knowing enough about contracting can you just confirm whether you are certain as far as that is concerned?

A notice period is a notice period - If they do not have work for you do they not pay you 'gardening leave'?
      I think there's a difference between a 'contract' as contractors understand it, and 'fixed term contracts' that are now increasingly popping up and are effectively more like perm employment. In the former, most contracts will not pay you if there is no work (search mutuality of obligation).

Have you ever been north of Watford?

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedAussie View Post
        As a newbie and not knowing enough about contracting can you just confirm whether you are certain as far as that is concerned?

A notice period is a notice period - If they do not have work for you do they not pay you 'gardening leave'?
        If a project gets shut down, or you do something silly, you can be told DCM (don't come Monday) Complain all you like, go to your lawyer etc. In the end you will only get a bad name, and waste time you should be using to find a new role.

In contracting you need a different mind set, thinking a company owes you 3 months pay for doing nothing is not it.

HTH
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

After getting back into work following a year on the bench, I suppose I should favour the longer contract. Yet I don't feel that way. Part of the attraction of contracting is the challenge of coming to a new site, learning the new rules and jargon, making a contribution and bringing your skills and experience to benefit the new client. After 6 to 12 months, the danger is you start to get into a comfort zone, you start to learn fewer new things, and you become more of an insurance policy rather than the ultimate fire-fighter. Still very valuable to the client, and they're happy to keep paying for this service, but it just feels more like "going through the motions" ie becoming a permie. I'm sure many here will disagree with my analysis; it's just how I feel about the subject.
          Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
            After 6 to 12 months, the danger is you start to get into a comfort zone, you start to learn fewer new things, and you become more of an insurance policy rather than the ultimate fire-fighter. Still very valuable to the client, and they're happy to keep paying for this service, but it just feels more like "going through the motions" ie becoming a permie. I'm sure many here will disagree with my analysis; it's just how I feel about the subject.
            That certainly happened to me on several contracts. Interesting and plenty to learn and do at the start, but once active development stopped the clients were simply using us as an insurance policy in case things went wrong. When the market is buoyant you can simply move on, but when it's dead you end up accepting the extension. At its worst the client doesn't even want to upgrade to the latest OS version and/or tools, so you can get trapped in "old technology".
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
              If a project gets shut down, or you do something silly, you can be told DCM (don't come Monday) Complain all you like, go to your lawyer etc. In the end you will only get a bad name, and waste time you should be using to find a new role.

In contracting you need a different mind set, thinking a company owes you 3 months pay for doing nothing is not it.
              The closest I've come to getting paid notice without working was a full month "at standard hours". This was a year's contract cancelled at the end of the first month.

We were given the option of not turning up on Monday and taking a month's pay, or continuing another couple of months up to the 3 month mark. We all chose to stick it out (market was bad at the time), and spent the time looking for other work.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I got a contract with Enron, back in 1997. The start was delayed a week, and then the agency (McGregor Boyle) told me that the contract was cancelled, and that since they'd got a weeks fees due to contract breach, and passed on my share! I was due to start the monday, but started a new contract, at better rates the following Tuesday.

Which was nice.

So it does happen very rarely.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  I got a contract with Enron, back in 1997. The start was delayed a week, and then the agency (McGregor Boyle) told me that the contract was cancelled, and that since they'd got a weeks fees due to contract breach, and passed on my share! I was due to start the monday, but started a new contract, at better rates the following Tuesday.

Which was nice.

So it does happen very rarely.
                  I was working with one client when someone heard on the way in that they had gone into administration.

All the contractors were let go an hour later and I thought I'd lost half a weeks pay, but my agency (part of Thales)
                  covered me and even paid to the end of the week. Next week we we were all recalled to work for the
                  client in adminiistration. Many did lose a month or twos money as their agencies went down.
                  Sometimes it's worth being with the big agencies ...

Comment

Working...
                  X