• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Whoops! Gordon costs us another £346 million plus

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whoops! Gordon costs us another £346 million plus

Torygraph
    According to a prospectus just issued by Mapeley, the property company, taxpayers have lost out on a £346m uplift in the value of a 600-property portfolio that was sold by ministers less than five years ago.

The HMRC portfolio, for which Mapeley paid £220m, is now worth £566.6m, according to a revaluation carried out by Savills, the property consultants. That is an uplift of 157 per cent.

MPs also claim that Qinetiq, the defence research contractor being prepared for a stock exchange listing, was also sold on the cheap.
    Good deal Gordon, just like you did with the gold. Qinetiq will be next.

Actually it is worse than £346 million, because HMRC pay Mapeley for services and rent - coincidentally around £220m last year alone.

I wonder whether he's been taking property investment lessons from Tony Blair?

That's outrageous. I've been trying to make that sort of return for years, and the only way I could manage it was by investing in fake property development deals being used to launder Russian drug money. If I'd known I could do it just by buying up a few derelict government buildings it would have been so much easier....

Still, I've got a lot more out of the experience than just money -- a criminal record and a scorching case of herpes for a start.
    Plan A is located just about here.
    If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

If anything if the Government had held on to those properties their value would have dropped.

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
        If anything if the Government had held on to those properties their value would have dropped.

Mailman
        Why?

From a 157% increase to a decrease if they had stayed in public ownership is a pretty big difference. Where did you get your information from?

Comment

Gosh. I'm bloody glad that I bought that property that my school chum offered me a few years ago. That's an excellent return.
          I'd forgotten about that. I thought that there was one property short in my list.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
            Why?

From a 157% increase to a decrease if they had stayed in public ownership is a pretty big difference. Where did you get your information from?
            Simple, look at all the things the Government has had its dirty little hands in and not one of them was a financial success, British Airways, Rover, Pensions, NHS....the list is never ending. Yet here you expect me to believe this government could make the same improvements as a profit making organisation?

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
              Simple, look at all the things the Government has had its dirty little hands in and not one of them was a financial success, British Airways, Rover, Pensions, NHS....the list is never ending. Yet here you expect me to believe this government could make the same improvements as a profit making organisation?

Mailman
              It doesn't surprise me. MP's are elected on the basis of fast patter rather than talent at a job.

I've always wondered how someone can suddenly become the top person in a field such as the Home Office with no previous experience. FFS how on earth can they know what they are talking about beyond a mere superficial grasp of the subject. They are salesmen and should never be allowed near the detail.

I think one of the successes of Mrs T was that she brought in people with commercial experience. Heseltine set up the London Docklands Development Corporation to regenerate the East End of London and by all accounts it was a great success. Blair brings in bureacrats and old mates like Lord Falconer, a lawyer for God's sake, and Mandelson, a career politician. Get rid of the career politicians and lawyers.

Fungus

Comment

Working...
              X