• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Currently reading ....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    There's another one on the way:

Fate of Worlds: Return from the Ringworld (Ringworld, book 5) by Edward M Lerner and Larry Niven

I do think it a bit odd that I preferred the Man-Kzin Wars books over those written by Niven himself in more recent times.
    That's me pre-ordered. Thanks Zeity
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Another great read - Raymond E Feist books

Magician
      Silverthorn (1985)
      A Darkness at Sethanon (1986)
      [edit] The Empire TrilogyDaughter of the Empire (1987) with Janny Wurts
      Servant of the Empire (1990) with Janny Wurts
      Mistress of the Empire (1992) with Janny Wurts
      [edit] Krondor's SonsPrince of the Blood (1989)
      The King's Buccaneer (1992)
      The Serpentwar Saga
      Shadow of a Dark Queen (1994)
      Rise of a Merchant Prince (1995)
      Rage of a Demon King (1997)
      Shards of a Broken Crown (1998)
      The Riftwar Legacy of Krondor: The Betrayal (1998)
      Krondor: The Assassins (1999)
      Krondor: Tear of the Gods (2000)
      Legends of the RiftwarHonoured Enemy (2001) with William R. Forstchen
      Murder in LaMut (2002) with Joel Rosenberg
      Jimmy the Hand (2003) with S. M. Stirling
      Conclave of ShadowsTalon of the Silver Hawk (2002)
      King of Foxes (2003)
      Exile's Return (2004)
      [edit] Darkwar SagaFlight of the Nighthawks (2005)
      Into a Dark Realm (2006)
      Wrath of a Mad God (2008)
      The Demonwar sagaRides a Dread Legion (2009)
      At the Gates of Darkness (2010)

Three more yet to go in the Feist Sagas I own in hardback and have read all of the above

Comment

I've got a soft spot for the Dragonlance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia books, a full list of which is List of Dragonlance novels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Start with List of Dragonlance novels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Raistlin/ Fistandantilus is one of the better fictional characters out there
        Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
          I've got a soft spot for the Dragonlance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia books, a full list of which is List of Dragonlance novels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Start with List of Dragonlance novels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Raistlin/ Fistandantilus is one of the better fictional characters out there
          I'll have to give them a try. Not usually fond of women writers, there's always something lacking in the blood and gore front

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
            I'll have to give them a try. Not usually fond of women writers, there's always something lacking in the blood and gore front
            It involves a kender (a hobbit like creature) whose natural defense is to taunt people till they attack them in a mindless rage, i.e. to act us bait and run away whilst other kender or humans stupid enough to get involved do the killing

The principal character is a wizard who hates everyone including his own relatives, who tolerates those weaker than himself if for no other reason they're never to be a threat to him, and usually ends up not being anyway near as evil as he'd like to think he is. At one point he tries to become a god, but then decides the universe isn't big enough for his ego, so thinks better of it

The rest is standard tolkien esque fare, but slightly tongue in cheek but readable none the less

Can't say it lacked fighting really, but admitedly character iteraction is just as important
            Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
              It involves a kender (a hobbit like creature) whose natural defense is to taunt people till they attack them in a mindless rage, i.e. to act us bait and run away whilst other kender or humans stupid enough to get involved do the killing

The principal character is a wizard who hates everyone including his own relatives, who tolerates those weaker than himself if for no other reason they're never to be a threat to him, and usually ends up not being anyway near as evil as he'd like to think he is. At one point he tries to become a god, but then decides the universe isn't big enough for his ego, so thinks better of it

The rest is standard tolkien esque fare, but slightly tongue in cheek but readable none the less

Can't say it lacked fighting really, but admitedly character iteraction is just as important
              Series sounds good to me, is it available in Kindle format (mobi)?

I have a tendency to use the kindle these days, saves me lugging several kilo of books around

Comment

Michael Dobbs - old enemies

Comment

Crooked Letter Crooked Letter - Tom Franklin

Comment

Lee Child - Echo Burning

Comment

Reading Alastair Reynolds at the moment; very Iain M. Banksy.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X