• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dilemma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    5:30 ?? How awesome are you, we are working on controlled crying between 7 and 8pm which is tough but working and also gives me time after work.
    Ah... controlled crying... I remember that

I was a counsellor for 'Cry-Sis' briefly (well, my then Mrs was but she was rubbish and always asked me to talk to the distraught parents when they phoned the helpline).

IIRC it worked fairly quickly (a few weeks) after which you can expect bliss

lukemg, I assume you're doing this? It really works!
    Ferber method - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    EDIT, get the book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solve-Your-C...6535129&sr=8-1

Comment

It's a tough decision - not sure I agree it gets easier once they're at school either! Personally, I agree with the consensus, but it's your call. However, if you make the decision to stay put, why not go back to the new gig and say you're very keen, but concerned about the extra travelling time, and what's their attitude to homeworking? You'd have nothing to lose. Where I am, lots of people work from home one, two or more days a week - and not just mums which is great.

Comment

controlled crying! - we lasted 45 mins and then read with her til she fell asleep til she was about 6 and could read herself.
        We just couldn't handle it

I suspect your gut instinct is to stay near to home, but don't discount asking about working from home. I ALWAYS ask the pimp about the possibilities, in fact Pimps have tried to tempt me off my current contract with Fridays at home as they know how much I'd like that.
        Only you can decide which job to go with, but whichever you choose, don't feel guilty about it
        (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know you will - it's a Mum thing )
        I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
          ...........it's a Mum thing )
          OI!!! Its a Dad thing too!! We don't work away cos we don't want to see the little darlings (or just to avoid them).....

We do what we need to.......... I miss the kids even now when working away.... fortunately when they were young I managed to commute mainly.... but Mums haven't got a monopoly on feelings you know!

<Windup hat on>
          True we don't make as much fuss but......
          </WHO>

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
            controlled crying! - we lasted 45 mins and then read with her til she fell asleep til she was about 6 and could read herself.
            We just couldn't handle it

I suspect your gut instinct is to stay near to home, but don't discount asking about working from home. I ALWAYS ask the pimp about the possibilities, in fact Pimps have tried to tempt me off my current contract with Fridays at home as they know how much I'd like that.
            Only you can decide which job to go with, but whichever you choose, don't feel guilty about it
            (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know you will - it's a Mum thing )
            I tried it when he was younger and my head nearly exploded trying to do it by myself....we muddle along with me being a lot stronger now, and recognising that he may have inherited some of his Mum's temper. La la.

Didn't think about asking the agent, I might try that! Like you say, WFH even one day would make a big difference. If the programme I am on wasn't due to end this year, there wouldn't be a dilemma at all.
            Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
            +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
              I tried it when he was younger and my head nearly exploded trying to do it by myself....we muddle along with me being a lot stronger now, and recognising that he may have inherited some of his Mum's temper. La la.

Didn't think about asking the agent, I might try that! Like you say, WFH even one day would make a big difference. If the programme I am on wasn't due to end this year, there wouldn't be a dilemma at all.
              WFH is not a big deal these days and a lot of companies are glad if people do. All you can do is ask and they might say no, if not then you don't lose out.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
              X